midi2xm won't convert properly

Started by moltres_rider, August 04, 2012, 17:21:49

Previous topic - Next topic

moltres_rider

I read somewhere in your wiki that it is recommended to use midi2xm... but I cannot get it to work!!! EVERY mid, I convert, coverts an xm with ONLY two channels and NO instruments, samples, or note patterns!!! does anyone know what is going on???

LPChip

midi2xm is not something developed by our dev team. Maybe its a good idea to head to www.un4seen.com and ask this question there?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

(midi) sequencing and the tracker pattern/grid formats are not compatible with each other. They are using two totally different approach. You are asking something like importing an Ableton Live song to a tracker, perfectly, and this is impossible because of all the extra differences that the simple tracker format wouldn't recognize. The midi players are using standard midi controls and sounds banks to shape the sounds of the instruments, think of the .mid files like they would be using and controlling the heard instruments as certain kind of VSTi-s. The "midi" is a standard that is used almost everywhere from hardware to software companies around the world, but on old days, when these electronic music hardware where very expensive for a simple user and CPUs were still too weak to run properly software controlled synthesizers, creative people still found some workarounds for the problem and they used own, CPU friendly methods to squeeze sound out of the machines. Trackers were born from this idea, they were using pre recorded samples and internal, non "standard" sound shaping engines that were much lighter on the CPUs at the time.

So because of the core differences, the legacy (or "standard" so to speak) tracker formats dont support VST(i)-s, thus cannot read or play standard midi files at all, they weren't designed around the sequencing idea. In some of the modern trackers you can import midi however, but not even the most advanced ones will give you perfect results and you will most likely need to correct the timings, note placements and the note shaping effects by hand each of the time.

tl;dr:
don't look for perfect solution, be glad that a somewhat working solutions are existing these days and providing you a gate between the two totally different formats, thus saving you a great amount of time of retyping and redoing everything in the legacy trackers from scratch.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

psishock: In this particular case it's not the incompatibility between the MIDI and tracking paradigma, though, but rather the inability of the OP to read the MID2XM manual and expecting the software to work with a single click like OpenMPT... MID2XM is not a trivial to use program and you have to assign samples to MIDI Instruments manually or else it won't work as intended. There's a lot of manual things to be done but it delivers great solutions if you do all of that - compared to one-click things like OpenMPT which just try to import MIDI in some way but fail. However, as LPChip pointed out, we are not the MID2XM support forum, so read the manual of the program first and then ask on the MID2XM forum for help, not here.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.