[dub/ambient] Sunset (ogg)

Started by Louigi Verona, April 22, 2010, 06:57:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Hey guys!

I would like to present to you and especially to those who are curious at what can be done on Linux musically, my first tune made with a modular setup and, of course, with free software only.

http://www.louigiverona.com/files/Sunset.ogg

This is an important step for me, since I finally found the software I need for my work and, most importantly, which is able to produce high quality effects. As you can hear, the sounds are beautiful and I am finally able to produce complex pads on GNU/Linux.

The critical change came around when I found Rakarrack, an effects rack with astonishing effect modules, Phasex synthesizer, which beats ZynAddSubFX in terms of GUI and seems very capable in terms of synthesis and LADISH  - a Linux Session Handler. Setting up this software, I believe, has put an end to me thinking of going back to Windows for musical reasons - at least, it satisfies all the needs I ever had before.

The lesser amount of plugins and synthesizers on Linux has it's positive moments as well - I am very keen on learning what I have very thoroughly. As this tune shows, being more like a proof of concept, even quickly mashing up something sounds very nice. On Windows I had a habit of skimming through many VSTi, trying presets and eventually choosing something, almost at random. But I've always wondered what it would be like to just stick with one synth and learn it. So I have this chance on Linux.

Anyway, the tune is incredibly short - 3 minutes. Very surprising I guess, given that most of my releases are well beyond 10 minutes.

Enjoy (hopefully) and tell me what you think!

Oliwerko

Very nice piece. Quite minimalistic, but I'm sure you spent a lot of time tweaking the sounds, well done.

It reminds me a bit of some JMJ tracks.
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

Louigi Verona

Thanks, man. Yeah, a lot of the work went into this one, perhaps because I am still learning the routine.

Sam_Zen

QuoteI've always wondered what it would be like to just stick with one synth and learn it
Less resources often enhances creativity.

A nice piece, although some synth sounds are a bit cheesy.

psishock

Quote from: "Sam"Less resources often enhances creativity.
That can be true in one way, but in other hand, if you focus on one (preferably all around) synth, and get strongly experienced with it, you can work a lot faster and more comfortable. You will not get dragged down with the handling, GUI, or the features. Everything will feel familiar and the composing will glide. I think if he will find that "perfect" synth of choice, the "less" will become "more". He wont feel less resourceful, that is for sure.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)