Disc Shelf

Started by Louigi Verona, November 04, 2008, 22:19:33

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Chris: nope, it is not possible. If your site goes down, it will look like Disc Shelf screwed up.

that makes perfect sense

However, I really am confused as to why you think Disc Shelf will restrict you in any way (it will not). I see copyright frightens the hell out of people. By hosting your music on Disc Shelf you are not restricted in any way and can delete the files any time you want and you really have full control of your content, not to mention that we are friends (a special Internet type of friends, but still) so there is no need to go formal here.

it wasn't my concern - I saw one or two people (TiS?) mention TOS and copyright etc. so I was offering a solution.

I personally think you would benefit from a blurb saying what disc shelf considers its rights and what isn't.  This is tied into if you are doing this as a free service - or plan on making money sometime in the future. If you change a contract, even an implied contract, it can have meaning in a court of law which could have impact on your business.

Louigi Verona

yes, I do plan to write legal stuff. I am now researching into how is it done - usually the text is written in a very complex form.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"yes, I do plan to write legal stuff. I am now researching into how is it done - usually the text is written in a very complex form.

Pay a visit to creative commons. They have it written for you, so you can just copy and paste it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Okay, thx for the advice man, I will do that during weekends.
Also, the site will soon feature my own license of which I spoke here:

http://www.traxinspace.com/discussions/general/view/1255

But I will have to first write it down so it will take some time.

bvanoudtshoorn

Another feature that would be nice to have would be the ability to upload not only the front cover, but also the back cover. You could extend this, so that you can choose between the (current) text-only booklet and a booklet composed of a series of ordered images.

Louigi Verona

Nice idea and I have thought about it. We will see how to realize that.

By the way, updates:

-we now have a simple catalogue
-lots of small bugs fixed, including booklet
-the amount of albums one can add went up to 7
-file size limit went up from 30 Mb to 50 Mb

bvanoudtshoorn

Oh, another few quick ideas...

At thesixtyone, you can point the system to a URL where you've uploaded your track, and it'll pull it down itself. In other words, you only have to upload the track once, and then thesixtyone will download it to their server from wherever you've put it. That'd also be a nice feature. :)

Uploading more than one track at once (ie, queuing up x tracks) would also make the system easier to use. Kinda like how last.fm works, maybe.

Louigi Verona

Okie, though since I am the only coder working now, I have to say that this is not what I will implement soon - lots of things to do before that. But yep - multiple uploads will be featured for sure!

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Louigi Verona"yes, I do plan to write legal stuff. I am now researching into how is it done - usually the text is written in a very complex form.

Pay a visit to creative commons. They have it written for you, so you can just copy and paste it.

Actually, didn't find the text one can copy and paste and use as terms of use. There are only licenses for music releases.

Louigi Verona

Hey, guys!
Made the genre search, also revised the genre list, lifting it from 5 possible genre choices to 129 =)

At the moment the catalogue is of course not too large, but it really depends on you, guys ) I hope with time it will expand.