Best place to promote your songs?

Started by Rakib, May 04, 2009, 21:13:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

Artists have usually used myspace to promote their band/songs. Does anyone here have their own myspace page?
I personally don't have account on myspace but on youtube where I have recently started uploading some of my songs, but it was more a reaction to when I found out that someone else had upload of my songs on youtube(giving me the credit though)
^^

psishock

I have a plan to make a myspace and youtube acc, but no point @ this moment because i still have some wip pieces that i want to finish first. I don't want to do another half job, i am unorganized enough. Information on these sites flows fast, especially on youtube nowdays. Submitting your songs for radio stations are a good way too (arguably can be better). By the way, do we need to know of any masterpieces that you plan to post on these sites, or merely planning for future?
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rakib

No it's just old songs. I used to upload my songs at http://www.dance-industries.com/ there is where the uploader found my song.
^^

Saga Musix

myspace sucks. take this for granted. it didn't help me at all, except for getting more spam.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Right on , Jojo.
'Promotion' is something an art-promotor should do, not the artist himself.
He just publishes the work, and sees what's going on.

Louigi Verona

There are many ways to promote your songs. Creating an account on a website is just a small step in the process.

In my opinion promotion should be part of a fun creative process. As soon as promotion is regarded as business, it soon becomes very unhealthy and starts to disrupt creativity.

MySpace is not an answer. The real answer is first of all very good work - your music. This is the main thing one has to be concerned about. If the song is good, people who like it will promote it better than any advertisements and websites - a simple truth that in our age of business seems to be lost. If you want your songs to be around, they have to be alive music, music that captures peoples' hearts, that brings something important into their lives. Music which is kept alive by a mere business promotion will die off as soon as the money on ads are over.

As for MySpace itself, some time ago I decided to try it out. To be honest, after having spent about 20 minutes creating an account, I finally got there and was absolutely confused by the interface and all the things there. Same with Last.fm Today these portals are so complex, they have absolutely no appeal for me, both as a visitor and user.

LPChip

I use youtube and last.fm for this, but no myspace or facebook.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

g

Try not to use just one single site. Omnipresence is the key.

Rxn

QuoteMySpace is not an answer. The real answer is first of all very good work - your music. This is the main thing one has to be concerned about. If the song is good, people who like it will promote it better than any advertisements and websites - a simple truth that in our age of business seems to be lost.

Very true.

In  other words the question is --- why would you want to promote your
music altogether rather than let it promote itself?

psishock

Quote from: "Rxn"In other words the question is --- why would you want to promote your
music altogether rather than let it promote itself?

heh, the idea is nice, but your music will not reach anyone, if it just lays on you HDD all the time. :D
By "promoting" he meant to say: hey world, i made some nice stuff, give it a listen, if you have a few minutes to spare. People won't just google to "Rakib trance" from scratch. One must start from somewhere.

Quote from: "g"Try not to use just one single site. Omnipresence is the key.
sure G, that is somewhat obvious ;), some factual examples would be even more help for the interested mateys.

Louigi Verona

Quoteheh, the idea is nice, but your music will not reach anyone, if it just lays on you HDD all the time.

There is a difference between promotion and making available.

psishock

You're right Louigi, i was obviously exaggerating there, but i think he meant merely making it available on different sites, where people will listen to his works, not the classical meaning of "promotion" like advesting, marketing, commercials or building up hype. Then again, mayb my intuition is wrong (but it's usually way stronger than my intellect, so i'm trusting it ;)), and he wants to make some aggressive ad and spam flows. :D

g

Quote from: "psishock"
Quote from: "g"Try not to use just one single site. Omnipresence is the key.
sure G, that is somewhat obvious ;), some factual examples would be even more help for the interested mateys.
Omnipresent means "being present everywhere", so sure I can give some examples of all the sites on the internet :P (I'll stick to ones where you can add your music, even if there's no reason to stick with that):

Myspace
Disc Shelf
Facebook
SoundClick
Last.fm
Archive.org
indabamusic
The Pirate Bay
YouTube

Sam_Zen

This could ask for some poll, which place scores highest according to experience, regarding some issues :

For the uploader :
Navigation, registering, uploading, presentation on the result page.

For the streamer/downloader :
Navigation too, playing and download options, accessability, proper information.

I like to add an article about Facebook.
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/noface.txt

Rakib

There is no need for poll, I just wanted to know what you guys use and how it works out for you. And yes by promoting, I mean making it available to more people than today. I don't have any commercial interest, just to want to spread my music to most people as possible.
^^