[Orchestral] Symphonic work on 'Daniel' (.mp3)

Started by KrazyKatz, October 31, 2008, 16:24:37

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

This was a serious  undertaking which I composed a few months ago for a competition. The composition had to be based on the Bible book of Daniel and was restricted to a small specific orchestra. Those restrictions all had to be taken into account in the piece (breathing spaces for wind instruments etc..).

The mp3 was was made to give an idea of how it would sound with a orchestra playing it. I never took the time to perfect the velocities, but it is still an accurate representation.

My thanks to our own Barry for painstakingly converting it into musical notation. I hope his samples are coming to good use. Wish I could have given more for his tremendous effort.

Here is the piece in two movements (please listen in correct order):

http://www.sonicbrilliance.com/Daniel/Symphony-for-Daniel-1st-Movement.mp3
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com/Daniel/Symphony-for-Daniel-2nd-Movement.mp3

Since this is a program piece I've presented the verse timings and program hereafter. I would recommend comparing the piece with the actual chapters presented in the Book for a more fulfilling experience. You need not read the whole book, only the verses mentioned in brackets.

Verse Timings

1st Movement

00:00 - Restless slumber... ( Daniel 2:1-12 )

01:10 - The Calling. ( Daniel 5:10-16 )

03:09 - The Scheme. ( Daniel 6:5-9 )

2nd Movement

00:00 - Into the Den. ( Daniel 6:17-24 )

01:03 - The hidden Hand. ( Daniel 6:25-28 )

02:27 - Finale of Hope. ( Daniel 12:1-12 )

Program

Preface

In this day and age, where wisdom is replaced with intelligence, and spirituality replaced by physicality, I believe that no-one can really adequately represent a work with such a profound impetus as the book of Daniel.

Before undertaking this arduous task, I did not compose a single note until I had thoroughly absorbed the book and touched upon the immense depth beneath its majestic surface.

It is therefore with only a sense of absolute humility that I present this score.

It is vital compare the score to the chapters presented.

Where one might be overwhelmed by the visual majesty and fascinating descriptions presented in the book, it was my object to encapsulate the meaning within, which extends to depths far beyond even such vivid imagery.

The inner desire for truth can be heard in the agitation of the King on 'Restless Slumber'. The Majesty of Righteousness against all odds presents itself in "the Calling" and thereafter is embedded throughout the entire score with the Daniel motif.

The irony of the plotters to use Daniels very righteousness as plan for his demise, is represent  from 'The scheme' till 'Into the Den', ending the excerpt in a statement of humor, whence Daniel is found unharmed. This humor turns to an unchallenged irony by 'The hidden Hand' of G-d as the same theme is used in a tempestuous manner to show how the plotters plan is inevitably plan for their own demise.

And whilst the story ends on an uncertain note of an unwritten future, I believe that the inner desire for truth present in us all, will lead us to a 'Finale of Hope', where righteousness inevitably triumphs.

Yarron Katz
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

uncloned

this is really really good!!

what did you use to write it? (since Barry converted to notation)

impressive work - nicely conceived and executed both of you.

the scratching violins at the end of the first section is really something!

Sam_Zen

No need for reading some book, your description of the chapters is sufficient for me.
This is fascinating story-telling. And very good timing of the parts, and very good production.

KrazyKatz

@ Uncloned:
I composed it as you hear it in Modplug Tracker. Barry used the tracker file and his ears to notate it. Thanks for your praise!

@ Sam:
Also thanks for taking the words and commentary. I'd still suggest delving into the actual verses. My words touch upon some of the abstract meanings of the situations, whereas the verses are the actual occurrences. The correlation becomes much more vivid when comparing to the the verses.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Sam_Zen

Excuses, I'm non-reli, so I don't have that book. And I still think I don't need to.
The titles are well-chosen, and does it need to be more vivid as is, if I already call this fascinating ?
I prefer the language of sound to get an impression, above words.

bvanoudtshoorn

I was wandering if and when you were going to put this up, KrazyKatz. :) As I believe I said while transcribing it, I really like it -- it's got some phenomenal work in it.

Oh, and those samples are being put to good use -- just listen to any of my recent electronic tracks. I've been slicing like a monkey with a meat cleaver! :D

psishock

looks like i need to listen more often to symphonic music ^^, i've enjoyed both pieces very much, a whole different word from "electronic music".
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

aGIANTpupafish

Absolutely fantastic.  Both movements were brilliant, would be nice to hear them played by a real orchestra.

Any chance of a look at the score?  :)
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

KrazyKatz

Sorry for the belated reply.

@ Sam - Since it's a program work, a large part of the success of the piece is how it connects to the verses, hence the need to read them. You don't necessarily have to have religious views to make a comparative situation.

@ Barry - Good to hear about you chopping away! I put it up on my Birthday since I thought it was a special occasion deserving a special piece :).

@ Psi - Glad to hear I can make your listening experience as worth while as when I hear your stuff.

@ aGIANTpupafish - Thanks man! I couldn't find the score since I had some HDD crashes a while back, hence the delay. But I got a copy from our trusty BV. Here is the score in notation form:

http://www.sonicbrilliance.com/Symphonic-work-for-Daniel.pdf

Hey if you know any orchestras handy... drop me a line ;)
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"You don't necessarily have to have religious views to make a comparative situation.
You're right about that.