[ballad] I Never Knew (mp3)

Started by uncloned, October 16, 2009, 16:21:46

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Good Friday!

Some of you may know this track from listening to my album "Two Old Friends" - for those who didn't I include a link.

The story behind this is while in college for music there was a girl (young woman really) called Antoinette whose brother died from cancer in the course of just a few months. I had played in a band with her - she was a good keyboardist and fellow music major. During that time she became very religious which was a stark contrast to her previous orientation and at the time I couldn't deal with that. Sometime later, in reflection, I was sad that I had not given her more support.

Back to the Present

I'm still going through many old tapes and ran into this recording down with my friend Mike Barry on electric piano. After college I became obsessed with the idea of rock music in the format of a art song. I'm not saying I achieved this... but it was my intent and this version with Mike is an example. t was recorded circa 1985 as far as I can tell. The Two Old Friends CD version is vocal, guitar, and several lines of analog synth. (I thought is was ebow.. but now I think that is incorrect.)

here are the link for Mike and me.

http://clones.soonlabel.com/tof/03-i-never-knew-with-mike.mp3

and here is the link for the Two Old Friends version

http://clones.soonlabel.com/tof/03-i-never-knew.mp3

And here are the lyrics

I Never Knew

I never knew what a
beautiful soul you had
I never thought that a
girl like you could be like that

I guess you knew
by the look in my eyes
that I had left your side

Had run out on you
when you needed love,
needed support more than anything in the world

Can't say I miss you,
we were never that close
but something inside of you
touched me forever

Though I write this
in some kind of mock sadness
for something I say
that was never really there

One thing I know that I wish
I could tell you
is that I'm sorry
that I'm sorry

Sam_Zen

Touchy song.
I prefer the version with the electric piano, a better arrangement I think.