Lady trackers? Where ya'll at?

Started by Karmann, September 18, 2006, 01:35:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Karmann

Ladies Ladies Ladies!!! Where ya'll at?  :?:  There was a time when I could find music written by women everywhere. Women like Zola were great authors and awesome at the craft. I have learned what I know from the best. Like Matt Hartman, Mike Wheeler, Luke Thorn(Davidson), Ron Clifford, Kim Craft and sooooo many more Gosh..... They are true masters and I could only hope to be a tiny bit as good as they are. I've learned how to manipulate instruments, blend, stretch turn upside down, but can't get the melody to be consistant and without ending out in left field somewhere.
   I would like to learn more, but I can't find a place where a woman can ask questions without getting bombarded with testosterone. I wouldn't mind geting a few pointers from a guy, after all, I've had some wonderful patient teachers. I wouldn't want to think that I'm the only feme tracker left in the world who wants to write really great music. It's something that I desire more than anything. Tell me where I can go to talk about music. I'm listening......
Live it, Put it down on paper, Play it! Human's are NOT Perfect for a reason...

Sam_Zen

Prelude : don't try to make 'great music'. It's a dead end road. Try to make something you like to make.

I'm not a lady myself. I noticed that, in the course of time, there is indeed a small amount of female composers.
But this doesn't have to to mean some inbuild handicap or so. It could also mean, that too much male persons decide to become a composer lightly, while lots of them actually miss the ability to be one.
Majority is not automatically linked to quality.

Don't follow the masters. Use them, but follow your own way.

KrazyKatz

QuotePrelude : don't try to make 'great music'. It's a dead end road. Try to make something you like to make.

The reason Beethoven will always be reckoned with as a superior composer to Tchaikovsky ( for example ) is because Beethoven strove to write Great Music,  whereas Tchaikovsky expressed his personal emotions and desires.

And before people start arguing how they prefer Tchaikovsky, keep in mind to not let personal taste bias actual brilliance. Beethoven CLEARLY built more well structured pieces and his theoretical mastery is proved by the eloquence of his musical endurance listen after listen. Whilst Tchaikosky's ( for example) music may be magnificent, it does tend to
grow somewhat tiring in the long run.

I specifically suggest trying to keep yourself out of the picture when composing. When Michaelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel it was certainly not for himself. When writing for oneself, you are taking, and music in its true art form is of a giving nature.

Should you choose to compose great music, than you shall inevitably compose music that has you in it.

As for Karmanns Q: I've found this forum very generous of its knowledge without much regard for gender.  Im sure you know all questions are welcomed here, you need but ask..

I share your desire to create great music so tell me, why do you want it more than anything?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

cyperkid

Quote from: "Karmann"Ladies Ladies Ladies!!! Where ya'll at?  :?:  There was a time when I could find music written by women everywhere. Women like Zola were great authors and awesome at the craft. I have learned what I know from the best. Like Matt Hartman, Mike Wheeler, Luke Thorn(Davidson), Ron Clifford, Kim Craft and sooooo many more Gosh..... They are true masters and I could only hope to be a tiny bit as good as they are. I've learned how to manipulate instruments, blend, stretch turn upside down, but can't get the melody to be consistant and without ending out in left field somewhere.
   I would like to learn more, but I can't find a place where a woman can ask questions without getting bombarded with testosterone. I wouldn't mind geting a few pointers from a guy, after all, I've had some wonderful patient teachers. I wouldn't want to think that I'm the only feme tracker left in the world who wants to write really great music. It's something that I desire more than anything. Tell me where I can go to talk about music. I'm listening......

you smoke alot, don't you? almost too much, i guess  :?
commodore stole my childhood

cyperkid

by the way - the last time i dared to ask about female trackers, i got some nice allegations that i have reasons to ask for girls  ::)

LPChip

2 Cyperkid, the difference here is, that Karmann actually is a girl ;)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cyperkid

Quote from: "LPChip"2 Cyperkid, the difference here is, that Karmann actually is a girl ;)

:shock:

:oops:

did i miss any clue about that?

:lol:

well...my girl-friend used to have fun with (my) FT2...
(i even bought her an own [ancient] P133 & installed MSDOS for her that she doesn't have to occupy my "studio" anymore...)
but after getting done material for 3 full-length albums she totally quit musicmaking with trackers.

that as an example it seems indeed that they have all gone to other programs. most female friends didn't like the mathematical or tabular way in which music is constructed with trackers - at least they told me that

Relabsoluness

Sam_Zen

2 KrazyKatz
I said 'follow your own way', but this doesn't automatically means : express your personal emotions and desires.
I'm no expressionist either. Most of my work is based on physical laws, numbers, electronics or codes.
I don't write for myself, but switching at playback to being an 'audience', I'm the first critical listener, who could be pleased or not with the result.
Both Beet and Tchai made choices in the working process, for whatever reason. But 'choosing' remains a personal thing. No matter the method or style.

I'm busy making 'scary' music at the moment, instead of 'great'.

Karmann

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Prelude : don't try to make 'great music'. It's a dead end road. Try to make something you like to make.

I try Sam. I usually end up with something weird tho. I can compose some classical like music, and some that Matt Hartman and a few of my other friends have classified as My Own Genre. heh  It's nice to know that there are other composers out there that truly love the music and are in it for the music. Although a little notice here and there doesn't hurt either.

As for Cyperkid, Dude, as old as I am I've prolly smoked stuff you've never even heard of! And as far as alligationale's go, I'm not like that. You either like someone or you don't. I can take a joke and definately dish it out! So chill, It'll be alright! LOL  If you love music as much as I do, You prolly are a nice guy.

And thanks LP Dude! Steppin in there to defend a lady's honor. LOL  You Rock!

There's been soooo many comments generated from this thread. Now tell me..... Does the chat room on this site?

I'm not a very technical person, I'm a very simple being although if you ever hear my music you'll think I'm a maniac of something. I'm a 46 year old grandma, (but very kool say's my grand daughter) I don't look or feel like a grandma but sometimes I do feel like I'm 50!  LOL    I'll see if I can find a link to some of my old stuff so's ya'll can get to know me. Meanwhile, I'd like to do the same with you guys...

Sam_Zen

Q is : IF you end up with a weird piece, do you still like it ? Is it 99 %, what you wanted to make ?
A lot of great musicians and composers were and are maniacs, so nothing wrong with that.
QuoteI'm not a very technical person
Sorry, normally I don't care about these things, but I cannot skip a gender issue here :)
I've heard this vague expression used by women too often.
As a kind of introduction, but in fact saying (I suppose) : Don't start this typical male talk, about bolts and nuts, transistors and boosted clockspeed. So I don't take such a remark very serious on forehand.
It's a myth that the word 'technical' is some property of males. Males like to fool themselves with that idea, but the reality is different. At least half of them have 'two left hands', as we say here.
( The word 'technic' comes from the Greek and means 'trick'. )

Being a grandma, you use quite some 'streetwise' language now and then.
My 40 year old daughter tells me I'm a cool guy, but keeps a healthy scepticism of course.
A long time ago, in dos-days, I showed her the concept of a tracker module. She was very quick with this, and after a few sessions she had picked up the idea, and was able to make acceptable compositions.

QuoteI'll see if I can find a link to some of my old stuff
Yeah. Let's start talking sound.

LPChip

2 Karmann: ur welcome :) and thanks. :)

You can access my songs by clicking the www button in this post :)

As for the chat page on the front page, I made it once and since adding it was just a matter of uploading a few files, I though it'd be cool. Its a simple php chat thingy which is being used nowadays to do one liners :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cyperkid

Quote from: "Karmann"
As for Cyperkid, Dude, as old as I am I've prolly smoked stuff you've never even heard of!

:shock:
well...maybe same here
don't know if any market can cope with the almost suicidal and sad creativity of no-future-kids from post-communist east-european boredom-landscapes
what has to function as drug or mind-manipulating-whatever
:nuts:
probably we can exchange experiences  :D

MisterX

:oops:

Wow, thanks Karmann!  I am honored to be included amongst your list of "masters".
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

Karmann

hahahaha    Of course you is Kim! I mean Geez.. You obviously don't listen to your own stuff!  Awesome is not even good enough to describe your music! You and a certain BASTARD I know. Anyways,  I'm still going to try and write a little if I can keep my computer working long enough.  I've noticed the ole Bastard's been on here a few times. Seems like he ain't gonna say nothing to me. Well, I recon he's a fraid I'm gonna bite him or something!  geez... Guys are such babies! I'm married to the biggest one of all 30 years! hahaha