Looking for someone to do vocals in a dance track

Started by Oliwerko, September 08, 2010, 10:21:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliwerko

Hiya there!

I'm working on a song where I would like to have vocals. However, I lack both the skills to sing and equipment to record it. That being said, I'm looking for someone who would like to do the vocal track.

It's a WIP track with the lyrics already written, it's a kind of cheesy EDM track with cheesy love lyrics. A very plain and simple song, nothing really inventive. But that's intentional, because I want the vocals there, so I can concentrate on that.

In case you want to take a listen to its sound, do it here: http://oliwerko.ic.cz/Dance%20crap%205b.mp3 (Remember it's a very WIP state of the song)

If there's anyone who would like to do the vocals for me, I'll be happy. Feel free to contact me here, or via PM, or e-mail and we'll discuss the details.

Thanks
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

Rakib

I suggest trying to either find acapella to old songs or just find remix compos that includes vocal.
^^

psishock

yea thats pretty cheesy. Something like the dude from the Robot Unicorn Attack would be my preferred choice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMeUPFjQHc
:D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rxn

Have you heard of someone called Thomas Haverlik?

You probably have, since you are both from Slovakia. Some of his best
tracks contain no vocals at all, and while you are not there where he is at
this stage, keep trying, you seem to have some good potential. Don't worry
about lack of vocals at the moment too much, vocals are worth bothering
about when going commercial.

Oliwerko

Rakib - that's something I thought of, but...you know. Having your own lyrics and own melody is a whole another story.

psishock -  :lol:

Rxn - I haven't, but the name sounds familiar. I know that no vocals are needed for good music. And indeed I am more fond of instrumental music than music containing vocals (anything from Jarre to demoscene tracks). But I keep experimenting, and I feel it may be possible at this stage already. I'm not planning on going commercial. And I really don't see any connection between commercial music and vocals, if we aren't talking about what's "in" and "popular". I don't care about that.
I am afraid of murder.

Rxn

I put "commercial" and "vocal" in one sentence because quality vocal
production costs money, hence it makes more sense to go for vocals
knowing that you will get some of the budget back.

If a dance track producer needs a vocal, they would be simply hiring a
singer (unless they know someone) and, quite possibly, a studio for a
proper recording.

KrazyKatz

I have a pro studio with access to excellent singers, but I'm guessing you are running on no budget. As a fellow Modplugger I'd help with studio time, but I'd need to at least reimburse the singer for her time.
And I agree that I a singer is needed to do this piece justice. And a good one at that.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Oliwerko

You both have point for sure.

I would most probably either end up with low-quality stuff, or I would need more than no budget, as you say.

Anyway, my level is not even mediocre, so I guess I'll take the advice and wait. Thanks for advice and clarifying of the whole thing.
I am afraid of murder.

Snu

something else you might consider, especially if you are GOING for the cheesy sound, is synth vocals.  there's a pretty nice sounding free singer synth called 'flinger'.
its pretty old tho, and its rather a big pain to set up, and not exactly easy to use, but i really like the sound of it. also, the website seems to no longer have downloads, i still have the files tho if you want it.

if you are interested, here's a remix i made using it:
http://www.snuq.com/music/mp3/Snu%20-%20Hark%20The%20Herald%20Angels%20We%20Have%20Heard%20On%20High%20(Christmas%20Disco).mp3

edit: what the heck? embedding that link in the url tag caused my post to be blank?

psishock

Snu, its the empty space in your link, that is causing glitch.

Oh, and we had some nice memorable, and fairly popular songs with speech synthesizers. Valve's "portal" song for instance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthZgszykLs

Snu

what? there is no empty space.
also, the vocals from portal are not synth, they were sung by Ellen McLain, probably with some autotune and/or vocoder to make it sound like it does.

psishock

err...ok, then the brackets. :P (i thought  %20 is equal to space, but it's not exactly)
a lot if "special" character is unsupported in this dated forum engine.

g

Actually the (awesome) Portal song "Still Alive" (and game) does not use speech synthesis. It's the (processed) voice of opera singer / voice actress Ellen McLain who does the voice for GlaDOS.

psishock

lol well modern synthetic vocaloids are made to sound realistic as possible. But in portal, they apparently had post processed it so much (Valve had fooled me totally, i admit), that the sounding become identical to a full digital retro synthetic voice. The irony xD

Oliwerko

Yeah, I thought about synth vocals as well as some vocoder stuff...
I am afraid of murder.