AWA License draft 1

Started by Louigi Verona, April 16, 2009, 07:16:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Yes, exactly. But there is more to that. Releasing something anonymously means you will get no credit, no "reward". By this you are acknowledging that the creative process is one of the most fascinating, satisfying and rewarding experiences a man can have. And it is much more rewarding when you create because you cannot help it, not because you get paid or credited. In fact, the more unselfish the act of creativity is, the more it is a labor of love, the more real unalienable happiness it brings.
So this stance does not care about the economical side of things at all or rather looks at it as some unimportant addition. Bach wrote music not because he was paid - he was paid because he wrote music.
AWA License is all about that. About an act of uncontrollable desire to create something, to give away part of yourself not as a sacrifice that needs to be compensated, but as an act of love which a true artist simply cannot resist as it is part of his nature. And by not putting our name on the creation we underline this. And invite other people to experience the same - hence, the copyleft.

Sam_Zen

I recognize that desire, but there's still more to it.
This is about publication of one's work.
But if it's done on a hardware CD, complete with jewel design, then I think my name should be on it.
If I would give a live performance of my own compositions, I can't do that anonymously..

Louigi Verona

Well, this is personal decision. The composer is free to use any license and even write one himself. I wouldn't use AWA License for all works either. But to me it is possible to release a cd under such conditions in question.
As for live performance, the license does not cover it. You can speak about your authorship as much as you want, you are just not leaving traces of it ;)

Sam_Zen

Well, as a matter of fact, I wrote a license myself, based on Dutch jurisdiction about copyright-matters : "OpenXound".
Of course an author is free to choose an appropriate license, indeed for any single work, or a category of works.

I was just trying to use the AWA perspective and look at the consequences.
Of course one could release an anonymous CD.
When publishing a work on the inet, MP3, OGG, or FLAC, then the consequence would be to not fill in the name in the ID3 tag.. And the same is valid for the comments tab of a tracker module.

As for live performances, another matter comes up. The license to other people to make a recording of it.

Louigi Verona

QuoteThe license to other people to make a recording of it.

Isn't that like too much control? I wouldn't care.

Sam_Zen

Maybe so. But I wouldn't like it, when some unsympathetic people make a lot of bucks with it.

Louigi Verona

Well, for one - to make a decent recording of a performance the recording equipment has to be really good and best if plugged into the system directly. Simply preventing that will make it nearly impossible to make a recording of a quality that people would find worth buying.
And two - there might be a lot of sympathetic people.

Again, this is really all self regulating.
Plus, remember the Adding of New Quality principle. If they are able to sell something, they had to add something, to produce useful work, like - make the recording, edit it, add a menu to a DVD, do cover art, find customers, organize it all. This is the way merchants work all over the world. To the musician it is great publicity anyway.
But those are just side thoughts. AWA License covers only publication of the work of art.