[mindless wanderings] Pam is Blues (mp3)

Started by uncloned, April 03, 2009, 02:21:50

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

This is the 2nd of the 3 sections of improvisation with Mike.
(3rd was dirts of mud)

Please don't expect too much - but I find it somewhat relaxing.

All I did was tie Mike's playing into a couple some effects. Mike drives piano + choir + effects and I use the Roland GR-20 guitar synth

Since it is an uncut improvisation - it has mistakes and lasts a little bit more than forever.

In case you are wondering... it is A minor to G forever with just a touch of variation.

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/pam-is-blues.mp3
http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/pam-is-blues-hq.mp3

Sam_Zen

Not much to say. Nice imp. It took some time to get in the right mood.
The piano sometimes with a bit too much cliche-matic 'playing the blues' phrases.
Or maybe I should say, playing notes all the time. I think sometimes one chord is enough for one bar.

uncloned

As Mike told me he had not really improvised for a few years. I believe he has been mostly composing in his mind and trying to capture that.

Sam_Zen

I see, learning to improvise is an art of its own.

uncloned

I agree with that statement totally. One in a way grapples with chaos if you let yourself push any limits when you improvise.

Sam_Zen

Pushing limits is not the goal of an imprivisation. People with a classical training, when asked to improvise, often get in panic, not having anything on paper.
They have the mal-conception that improvisation is just 'whatever you like to do'.

This is not the case. Even in a total free improvisation, one has to listen very carefully to the other players, and to the overall atmosphere of all the sounds together.

uncloned

What I meant about "push any limits" is not performing what you already know. - To me the goal of improvisation is expression in a new way of some sort - but it does, I totally agree, needs be within some relation to the other performers.