MySpace doesn't allow an artist to upload his own music

Started by Louigi Verona, October 07, 2009, 20:49:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Great read from TorentFreak and a great situation: copyright of a song went back from the label to the artist, but the label still claims its rights on distribution and MySpace blocks the song.
At the same time other major labels continue to sell the song though they do not have rights to it anymore, thus effectively pirating work of the artist and gaining profit from it.

http://torrentfreak.com/copyright-drama-prevents-artist-from-sharing-music-on-myspace-091007/

Ironic.

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

of course....

the artist signs away their rights in a record contract.

nothing new here.

Paul McCartney now has to pay to play Beatles songs in concert that he wrote because the Beatles song catalog was sold.

its all about the Benjamins and so precious little about the art.

that is why creative commons is so needed.

g

About Paul McCartney, considering the history I have a hard time feeling sorry for him...

uncloned

that's not the point.

the point is legalities trump common sense and... let's not even get into art.

g

Well yes, it's a system chosen by us through the process of democracy.

Anyway, to get to the topic, I think it's infinitely more upsetting that Warner keeps selling the music they don't have the right to sell than MySpace out of routine denying Edwyn Collins to post his own songs.

To comment on Jojo's comment, I disagree. MySpace can be nice if you avoid the "friends race" and are a bit selective when it comes to "friends".

Saga Musix

Quote from: "g"To comment on Jojo's comment, I disagree. MySpace can be nice if you avoid the "friends race" and are a bit selective when it comes to "friends".
Well, I'm not really fond of "web 2.0 platforms"... That's of course just a personal oppinion, but I hate myspace just as much as facebork and other similar platforms.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

machinesmith

LPChip

Damn, she's hot...

Jojo, transform into her or I'll fire you from the staff :nuts: :lol: j/k
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Uh... no. I'm still Jojo, not JoJo (even if many misspell that) :P

maleek

PPH

Remember Paul McCartney must have pocked a handsome sum of millions of dollars for these "rights". He's not a victim. He chose the situation in exchange for an amount of money he thought was more important than to be able to play that music without paying.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

Sam_Zen

Before people want to go on their face, better read this first..

Louigi Verona

To me it is not new information. In fact - if you are using the Google search engine - it does exactly the same. Notice that the advertisements would mirror what you searched in google like 15 minutes ago.

g

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Before people want to go on their face, better read this first..
If one is paranoid enough to worry about that, one should also be aware that there is no escape. If the secret services of the world feels like monitoring your every move it's not as if not using facebook will make much of a difference. In fact, it's probably a good idea to use it to overwhelm "them" with useless information.