Reminder - Free Song Hosting at MODPlug Central

Started by MisterX, October 22, 2006, 20:35:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on October 26, 2010, 12:28:00
I've asked him a few times over the past years, and each time, I got the same backup of 2001. When did he told you he has them?
He told me that he might have some more backups a few weeks ago.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on October 26, 2010, 12:39:56
Quote from: LPChip on October 26, 2010, 12:28:00
I've asked him a few times over the past years, and each time, I got the same backup of 2001. When did he told you he has them?
He told me that he might have some more backups a few weeks ago.

Okay, thats later than he told me, which was more than a month ago. :)

Lets cross our fingers and hope he does have some backups. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

when are you two going to put the archive I have on line on your server?

Saga Musix

Quote from: uncloned on October 26, 2010, 20:32:25
when are you two going to put the archive I have on line on your server?
As soon as the read-only part of the new download script is finished. I'd say 80-90% of that are done, however university has started again, so I have less time than in the previous weeks for coding. I can give no exact dates, but anything until the end of the year is possible.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

can't you just put up a folder that has read only permissions like I have?

Saga Musix

Quote from: uncloned on October 27, 2010, 10:59:33
can't you just put up a folder that has read only permissions like I have?
Theoretically it would be possible, but at the same time impractical since I would have to upload the files again for the new system (the file contents have slightly changed, since all files have been recompressed). Unless you really don't want to host the files anymore I wouldn't do it, it would just result in two moves in short time, of which one would be unnecessary.

uncloned

Since you have the ability to host them on the modplug site I think that is what should be done.

jmichae3

hey guys, it's been about a year since this post, and the "download music" links here.  where's the music?
----------------------------
Jim Michaels

Saga Musix

I haven't spent much time working on the song download central as I'm fairly busy doing other things as well.  Some features that are still missing are crucial to get the site working, though, so I won't put it online until these issues are resolved. Sadly, web coding is not as addictive as tracker development, though. ;)

unperfect

Because many years ago I used your fantastic service to amass a tracked music collection that has since been dormant on a no longer used XPp box, and because your music search facility is now existentially challenged I have two suggestions that might apply to your situation based on what little there is to glean from this thread:

Consider creating an Amazon (S3|EC2AWS|etc) AMI and allow others to replicate it to their own storage/instance.  This would only cost you for exceptionally large AMIs, but ZERO for other people to replicate it to their respective accounts.

However this is my best understanding: speculation and not experience.

I only use Amazon S3, and Amazon Cloud Drive -- five gigs EACH free [assumes USA]

I had been looking for a way to use Amazon DevPay for selling the 'cost' of bandwidth for S3 downloads.  I have given up.

--

Alternatively, Dr3am H*st has a storage service that I am much much more confident will suit you.  Create an archive of all the files (with respective directory structure), upload the archive to Dr3am H*st's "Files F0r3v3r" service, uploading costs you very little, each person pays one fee once to download from Dr3am H*st 'forever'.  This is NOT a scurrilous 'free' file hosting company, but a reputable web hosting company.  Company name- and service name munged as this is not an ad for them but a suggestion for you

Thanks for all the mod fish

unperfect

8)

Thu 1995 Dec 21

Saga Musix

Quote from: unperfect on November 08, 2011, 09:14:17
Because many years ago I used your fantastic service to amass a tracked music collection that has since been dormant on a no longer used XPp box, and because your music search facility is now existentially challenged I have two suggestions that might apply to your situation based on what little there is to glean from this thread:
It's not challenged. The services just have to be brought back one after another, and hosting a new song sharing site will be no problem at all.
Mind you, for archiving other people's music, I'd rather recommend using f.e. ModArchive - the focus on ModPlug Song Central will stay on people's own songs.

Also, Amercian hosters are relatively expensive compared what I can get here in most cases.

MisterX

I'd be happy to point the download link on the main site to wherever the downloads will be located.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

uncloned

Quote from: Jojo on November 08, 2011, 09:57:13

Also, Amercian hosters are relatively expensive compared what I can get here in most cases.

Which is a good reason why the archive should be moved to your server.

Adding new music is a different issue from hosting the legacy music which only requires a few folders with the proper permissions set.

Chris

Kristoffer Juls E. Jose

Why is it limited to 256 kilobytes? Most modules in IT at about 1 minute are at about 1 megabyte!