Everything about the Pre-Amp value!!!

Started by LPChip, October 15, 2006, 17:29:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Asharin

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Asharin"I've always left the pre-amp setting alone :p

I'm not sure if the setting is good by default though...
That's okay my music is crap enough that the volume doesn't afect it much :D
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Atlantis"I really don't see why would you want to downscale based on the number of channels though.
To avoid clipping. Mixing is basically adding, which means that if two channels hit 0dB at the same time (not completely unlikely) you get 6dB. The higer number of channels you get, the higher the possible peaks get, even if they become more unlikely as you add channels.

xaimus

That seems like a vestigial feature--the user should modify the mix to avoid such situations, not the sequencer/tracker.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "xaimus"That seems like a vestigial feature--the user should modify the mix to avoid such situations, not the sequencer/tracker.
Well I don't *really* know how it works, I'm just pretending. I thought I had it all figured out then I started thinking about the virtual channels and I got a headache. On another note, I agree with Rewbs that there is absolutely no reason for this discussion to be posted as an announcement.

rewbs

De-announcing. This thread is interesting but does not need to live at the top of the list.

Rxn

Hi guys,

I was wondering actually about this pre-amp thing today. How does this actually work?

For example, we have a 16 bit normalized sample, how does pre-amplification work for it? You cannot increase the volume without it going into clip.

Sam_Zen

Saga Musix

The internal mixer routines are working with 32-bit precision, as the manual says.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rxn

Hi Jojo,

so what is the chain of conversion in this case?

Sample->convert to 32 bits (zero padding?)->multiply by Pre-Amp value->all the rest of operations?

Saga Musix

I dunno :> But judging from the results, that sounds quite plausible.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rxn

I thought a developer might know that :)

LPChip

Are you using the RC3 or RC2 mixmode settings?

By default from .48 and on, the mode has been set to RC3. In such cases, the pre-amp value is no longer being taken into account.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Rxn: Sure, but I have never touched the mixer routines since I've been a developer (read: since last october).

Rxn

Hi LPChip,

I would like to figure out how both of them work. What is the conversion chain in RC3 including all the volume controls along the sample path?

The reason why I am asking is because it struck me that we might be losing resolution bits in samples if conversion\amplification steps are not done properly and\or in a right sequence.

LPChip

Quote from: "Rxn"Hi LPChip,

I would like to figure out how both of them work. What is the conversion chain in RC3 including all the volume controls along the sample path?

The reason why I am asking is because it struck me that we might be losing resolution bits in samples if conversion\amplification steps are not done properly and\or in a right sequence.

Have you actually read the posts on the first page of this topic? Its being explained there by Rewbs.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs