[COMPO]FX Tone

Started by LPChip, July 03, 2006, 12:16:38

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I was thinking about doing a compo to learn from and share the findings.

The idea is as follows. You don't make a song this time, but a sound.

Duration between 1 to 10 seconds.

Goal, make a sound that impresses you if played loud. You are allowed to use VST's and VSTi's, but you are NOT allowed to use a preset that comes with the VSTi. If you use a VSTi, make a sound from scratch.

When you submit your sound, please mention what VST(i)'s you used.

today its 3rd of july. Submit your tune on the 15th of july, by replying a link on the forum. If you have a problem submitting your entry on the 15th, email me your link before that day.

I don't think 10 seconds of wav will be large. If the file stays below 3 mb, submit as wav, otherwise do the best compression (320k bitrate) on MP3 or OGG.

Although you'll submit a rendered form, you are only allowed to use one of the following trackers: skale, modplug tracker, impulse tracker, fast tracker, renoise or madtracker. These are trackers that by default work with samples. If I left out a tracker, please ask.

Everyone that participates has to vote by putting the best entry on top, worst bottem, and then your entry. So in other words, you cannot vote for yourself.

Voting and such is all public.

After the compo is over, we'll discuss the idea's behind your entry, and how you were able to get this "hq" and "unique" sound. Maybe it can help us in making more samples for our next song? ;)

Good luck guys.

Feel free to ask about anything that is not clear, and I'd like to know who of you wants to try this.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Since no one responded, does that means that no one is interested?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

XAVT

Well.. I don`t mind, but.. Why do you insist on trackers? Also, can I play anything I want with that sound?
And now come the glitches: If I use a tracker it means I can use samples which I created with say, cakewalk, thus using the tracker as only a mean to trigger my note :D
its a thin line...
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

Sam_Zen

2 LPChip
Nice idea. The results would have the potential to help everybody with more insight for the future.

2 speed-goddamn-focus
I share the confusion here.
Although very strictly spoken one could consider making a sample being a composition too, with a single sound, it's better to make a distinction between composing a sound or composing a piece.
As the word composition mostly means : organizing different sounds together.
( But electronics is a very flexible terrain. It is quite possible to 'stretch' a whole song of 3 minutes into a sound of 1.5 secs, and use the result again as a single sample. )

2 XAVT
I think LPChip insists on the use of trackers, because that's the point here. Making and saving a single sound with a tracker-prog. So it's not a matter of making some fancy sample with Cakewalk or Cool, and just trigger the note in a pattern. (correct me if I'm wrong, LPChip).

This is about FX. As I don't use plugins, I don't have to worry about those restrictions. Only the challenge is left, to create some kind of effect with the tracker, while using some dry sample(s).
How to create a phasing effect with ModPlug without any effect-racks available ?

Squirrel Havoc

How else can you make a sound in a tracker than using VSTi? And why limit it to software?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

QuoteHow else can you make a sound in a tracker than using VSTi?
It's possible. If you want to add a simple echo to an existing dry sample to make a new sample :
Use several channels with the same sample-note, only each a rowstep later, each with decreasing volume codes. The playback speed defines the kind of echo. Save the single pattern as a wav, and you have a new sample with the FX.

Squirrel Havoc

Or I guess you could layer sounds, but that would be hard to pull off something good like that
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Although very strictly spoken one could consider making a sample being a composition too, with a single sound, it's better to make a distinction between composing a sound or composing a piece.
As the word composition mostly means : organizing different sounds together.
That is true Sam_Zen, but he wrote "compo" and not "composition". As we've been through before, when someone in the tracking community (or demo scene) mentions the word "compo", it means competition. Generally, this is pretty clear if you put the word in it's context, i.e. if words such as voting and resluts are used.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 LPChip
Nice idea. The results would have the potential to help everybody with more insight for the future.
Thanks. Thats what I'm after :)

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
2 XAVT
I think LPChip insists on the use of trackers, because that's the point here. Making and saving a single sound with a tracker-prog. So it's not a matter of making some fancy sample with Cakewalk or Cool, and just trigger the note in a pattern. (correct me if I'm wrong, LPChip).
Spot on. This is exactly what I mean.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
This is about FX. As I don't use plugins, I don't have to worry about those restrictions. Only the challenge is left, to create some kind of effect with the tracker, while using some dry sample(s).
How to create a phasing effect with ModPlug without any effect-racks available ?
You can use VST's to do a phasing effect. I don't want to limit people.

The reason why I choose trackers only with no buildin sound generators, is because then, its possible to discuss it and create something yourself lateron.

If I use fruity loops, and use like sytrius plugin to make a nice sound, that would mean that none of you can then recreate what I made unless you have fruity loops too.

To give a hint of what I'm after: If you've played Half-Life 2, or seen War of the Worlds, then there are moments where sound effects literally impresses you ;) They amplify the sensation of the movie.

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"How else can you make a sound in a tracker than using VSTi? And why limit it to software?

You are allowed to record your own sample from anything in your environment, or use samples you've downloaded before.

The idea is that you make it with a tracker so you can share your knowledge, and perhaps the sample(s) you've used after the compo ended.

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Or I guess you could layer sounds, but that would be hard to pull off something good like that

Why would that be hard?

Aren't VSTi's usually doing the same thing?

You could use chipsamples to make a sound, and apply some VST's to them to get a result...

Sam_Zen

2 Squirrel Havoc
Layers of sounds is in fact what's happening if playing back several pattern-channels at the same time.
A channel could be there in the pattern, but silenced. Like transparancy with bitmaps.

2 speed-goddamn-focus
Obviously I missed something, because I didn't know about the link between compo and competition.
I always used compo for the sake of efficiency to replace composition.

Quote from: "LPChip"You can use VST's to do a phasing effect. I don't want to limit people.
Using them for the effect one wants is fine by me, if, as said, no default presets are used.
But you don't have to fear to limit people by excluding VST's. Lots of existing effect-codes inside a module.
The limitation ranges depends on the purpose of the final sound with the current material after all.
So sometimes it can be done without plugins, because the result is acceptable, and sometimes one seeks a specific area which is not available within the basic options of the tracker.
One doesn't need a plugin to want a certain sample twice as loud in a pattern. Just add a channel with the same data.

QuoteIf I use fruity loops, and use like sytrius plugin to make a nice sound, that would mean that none of you can then recreate what I made unless you have fruity loops too.
An essential point you touch here..
I checked fruity loops too and it was hardly composing, but more playing around with presets. Not very satisfying.

[OT] This has been the main problem from the beginning of electronic music. Somebody else, playing the same piece.
Almost no electronic composition in the past 50 years has been 'covered' by somebody else.
Because the climate is, until now, to still use the classical pop or serious notation to find a solution.
This leads to the exact definition of the available instruments, with each their own score on a line.
A score line for a violin starts and ends with commands for the same violin.
With electronics an instrument can switch to anything else within the options during the playback of that score.
I think maybe more emphasis on the actual codes as part of the composition should be there, instead of the actual sounds involved.
If you make a module, what happens to the piece, if you replace all the samples by others ?

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Obviously I missed something, because I didn't know about the link between compo and competition.
I always used compo for the sake of efficiency to replace composition.
It must have been at the old board then, or one of those posts I deleted before posting when I realized I was just being rude for a silly reason ;)

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I checked fruity loops too and it was hardly composing, but more playing around with presets. Not very satisfying.
So you had the chance to try it out more since april?

Sam_Zen

Quotewhen I realized I was just being rude for a silly reason
? I didn't detect any rudeness in your conversation.

QuoteSo you had the chance to try it out more since april?
No, I haven't.
But you have a point. My texts about FL are not very consistent here.