Mixing/Mastering Tips?

Started by KrazyKatz, June 28, 2006, 21:59:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Relabsoluness

I don't know is this mastering or mixing issue(or something different), but a thing that has been a quite big problem for me when tracking is the significant difference in the way the mod sounds when listened with headphones or with speakers. It is of course natural that the way some tune sounds is dependent on various things including the speakers and its settings, but I can't help wondering that does the difference have to be so dramatic: often a mod that sounds ok with headphones, with which I usually work with, then sounds almost horrible with speakers. I think this is largely due to 'lost volume balance'(various instruments are too loud/quiet).

Some basic 'what's going on'-description about the matter might help a lot.

Karmann

This is WAY over this country girls head!  :?   But strange enough, I do sorta understand it.  :lol:
Live it, Put it down on paper, Play it! Human's are NOT Perfect for a reason...

Relabsoluness

The thing I mentioned in my previous post has really been a problem for me; no one really has something to say about it?  ::)

anboi

when mixing/mastering then the advice often given is to try it on lots of different systems and if it sounds good on all then it should be fine. if it doesn't then you are probably doing something slightly wrong, but not necessarily:

different monitoring setups will have different frequency peaks and troughs (and the room you are in will have some effect too as some frequencies will bounce back and multiply, some will cancel) this tends to lead you to inappropriately boost some parts or attenuate others. to get the best possible sound you want your setup with as little reverb from the room as possible (so a largish room with some sound dampening of some sort), good speaker positioning to avoid phase cancellation and a very flat frequency response from both your amp and speakers.
this is hard to achieve but its still possible to do a very acceptable job with non-optimal gear by simply listening to a huge amount of the very best produced music you have on your normal setup and making it sound close to that in terms of balancing. there will still probably be issues when then trying it on headphones so re-tweak slightly to fit them and try again on the main setup. its hard to describe this stuff, but you should sort of 'know' when you've got it good on both and you can assume that it should then sound good on most other systems too, the more you use the better you can get it but you need to know all of the systems well through listening to lots of your favourite well produced albums as a reference.
problems with the mixing almost always come to the fore when listening on different gear and as long as you know its not the setup thats at fault (because your favourite records sound bad in the same ways) then you can fix it and improve the mixing of your track.
hope that is clear-ish and helps!

Relabsoluness

Thanks anboi. It was nice to have some information about this.

Sam_Zen

A technical aspect about mixing which has to be taken into account : Mixing sounds on a digital level is quite different from analog mixing, because, without corrections, it means a mathematical addition of the level values of each track-point. So a mixdown of two tracks, each normalized to the max, will generate distortions in the result.

Atlantis

If anyone wants mixing/mastering advice, just contact me via IM. Topic closed. :lol:
Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

http://www.facebook.com/atlanteanrecords