pattern limit

Started by anboi, June 15, 2006, 22:08:54

Previous topic - Next topic

anboi

why is it 239 not 255? and is it completely ridiculous having that many patterns or do other people keep hitting the limit too?

Sam_Zen

Although I never needed a 3 digit number for the patterns, I agree, that, as a limit, 239 is a ridiculous value.

LPChip

Are you sure you've reached the pattern number limit, and not the order number limit? If you for instance have a few double patterns, its most likelly that you've run into the 'amount of orders' limit.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"Are you sure you've reached the pattern number limit, and not the order number limit?
No, it's the pattern number limit.

And Sam Zen, why do you say it's a ridiculous limit without knowing why it's the limit?

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"And Sam Zen, why do you say it's a ridiculous limit without knowing why it's the limit?

Maybe he knows its easy to increase the limit? I dunno
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

rewbs

IIRC this is inherited from IT. It would be 0-255 but some values are reserved for special cases like    , --- etc.. (in fact I don't think there are any other special cases so not all reserved values are used) so it's 0-239.

Sam_Zen

2 LPChip
Nice distinction. So, talking about limits here, I would like to know this 'amount of orders' limit as well.

2 speed-goddamn-focus
As rewbs mentions, we are dealing with binary counters, so normally : if 239 is possible, then up to 255 also.

But I should have known about the possibilty of reserved values.
Maybe it would be elegant to gather a 'list of limits' of OMPT. Because they appear to be quite different here and there. All kind of ranges of min and max values. Speed, octaves, notes, effects, size of sample, etc

anboi

i think the limit on the size of the pattern list is 255. i was just curious as to why the limit on the actual number of unique patterns was 239... and also hoping that everyone else hits the limit often so it is worth changing soon! doesn't look like it!