The Percussion Compo

Started by cdnalsi, June 11, 2006, 01:06:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Relabsoluness

About the interpretation of rules I could say that I really had to think whether a thing I made was too melodic or not. There tends to form a sort of a 'bass line', so maybe the percussion instruments indeed were 'too melodic' for this, but anyway the separation of rhythm and melody surely doesn't seem too well defined.

XAVT

I`ll join :)

Just have a few questions. I understand perfectly well that I can`t use any melodic instruments but can I use effects? You know... those wooshy wooshy things you create by overdelaying stuff or wind blowing at the intro...

I could make a TB play a single note, rythmicly, is that precussive?

By the way, nice idea... ;)
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

XAVT

Just one more thing.

Can I use vocals? Such that have absolutly no melody in them? Like me saying that tea would be served at 4?

And... who judges?

LPChip

The idea is to have a rythm, so I guess saying is not allowed either, unless you'd use it as a snaredrum or so, which I think isn't even possible.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

XAVT

Really? Well I suggest you should go visit the old native indian tribes. They use their verbal abilities in inhuman speeds creating nothing but rythm. Listen to Shpongle - Devine Moments of Truth.

SoundCrafter

@yrk Finally! It's not that hard to understand! Sheesh! But maybe that's just me...

I don't know if there's anything wrong with playing like, a c1 or c7 on a drum sample, (there shouldn't be imho) but how bout this as a general rule: Nothing that has a distinctive pitch as can be recognized by an electronic tuner, unless said instrument is only played at one pitch throughout the entirety of the piece...

Lol...and i haven't even been to law school yet.

P.S. CDNalsi, i'm not trying to run your compo, but I think some things are still grey areas.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

XAVT

Y`know.. I really am interested in the questions I asked before...

cdnalsi

OMFG You guys can't be serious!!

What is there so gray about percussion samples? It's a conga, a bongo, a shaker, a tom-tom, a cymbal, a snare, a bass-drum etc. Be they even synthish.. Okay, now that you have these, make something interesting RHYTHMICALLY!.

I don't want to hear melodies, I don't care much for the melodies. You will not get a higher grade with melodies. All I care about is the rhythm. I don't care much for the vocals either, but if you must scream "SAMBA!!" go ahead an do it!

I can't understand why you all refuse to see the simple side in all of this, and choose to go down complication lane....

Really!!

XAVT

because we don`t want to get desqualified on technicalities?  :lol:

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "cdnalsi"I can't understand why you all refuse to see the simple side in all of this, and choose to go down complication lane....
Surely things seem simple if one doesn't see the problems ;)

But ok, for example I first thought that even thought the rules might not essentially be well defined, maybe it doesn't matter, but the fact is that I have had real problems deciding whether the percussion instruments I use create melody even with different samples. For example, if one uses toms of different frequency, can that possibly be interpreted as melody? Maybe this is not what you meant with melody, but how should other people know how you define the concepts. But nevertheless, maybe this rule analysing is not so fruitful - if you think for example that my possible entry is too melodic, then just simply disqualify it :)

cdnalsi

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"For example, if one uses toms of different frequency, can that possibly be interpreted as melody?

This is exactly what I was talking about. Of course it will NOT be considered as melody. I'm not an idiot you know  :lol:

Sam_Zen

2 cdnalsi
You hit the nail on the head. It's about something Rhythmically !. With which instrument-sounds is secondary.
A Rhythm compo also has to deal with harmonic elements, just like a Tonal compo, because of beats per step or accents in a pattern.
A looped snare sample is exactly twice as fast if programmed to play an octave higher.

cdnalsi

Wow, I really never though it would take this much of a conversation to get some drum samples, some afro-american samples, and do some tribal shit fire-dance rhythm.

LPChip

Quote from: "cdnalsi"Wow, I really never though it would take this much of a conversation to get some drum samples, some afro-american samples, and do some tribal shit fire-dance rhythm.

Read the Thank You thread. We just keep the community alive :nuts: :lol:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

xaimus

Quote from: "cdnalsi"OMFG You guys can't be serious!!

What is there so gray about percussion samples? It's a conga, a bongo, a shaker, a tom-tom, a cymbal, a snare, a bass-drum etc. Be they even synthish.. Okay, now that you have these, make something interesting RHYTHMICALLY!.

I don't want to hear melodies, I don't care much for the melodies. You will not get a higher grade with melodies. All I care about is the rhythm. I don't care much for the vocals either, but if you must scream "SAMBA!!" go ahead an do it!

I can't understand why you all refuse to see the simple side in all of this, and choose to go down complication lane....

Really!!
ahahahahahaha

I burst out in laughter when reading this post.  :D