The Percussion Compo

Started by cdnalsi, June 11, 2006, 01:06:16

Previous topic - Next topic

cdnalsi

Yes you may. But please try not to be such extravagant as to actually use the glass braking as your snare drum. The thing is mainly about rhythm, not about cool and never-before-used samples.

LPChip

Quote from: "cdnalsi"Yes you may. But please try not to be such extravagant as to actually use the glass braking as your snare drum. The thing is mainly about rhythm, not about cool and never-before-used samples.

I will most certainly not. It was just to get the rules straight, and I think this example shows it in its best perspective.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cdnalsi

May I conclude that I shall be expecting your entry?  :)

LPChip

Quote from: "cdnalsi"May I conclude that I shall be expecting your entry?  :)

You can certainly conclude that I will try to send in an attempt. I also have some idea's and I'm quite good at this stuff too. Its just a matter of timemanagement.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "xaimus"
Quote from: "cdnalsi"The 303 are not allowed since they are synths.
:(
I was so happy when I first read that the 303 was an exception.  :(
You can use an mc303 instead of a tb303. ;)

xaimus

Sam_Zen

I'm still not enough convinced to participate with an entry.

Now, the classical setup of a drummer's kit gets into the picture. Again : within electronics the range of percussion sounds is much, much bigger. Should you restrict yourself to a snare-sound as close as the acoustic one, or do you like to expand and create another sound with the same function as a snare, namely the basic counterpart to the 'kick' in the beat-pattern.

The sound of breaking glass would become quite boring after a short while, but such a sample still can remain useful.
Load it and use only the 2 or 3 highest octaves of the instrument. Or edit (modulate) the sample, like stretching, etc.

Still nagging about the 'melodic' thing. I agree of course about the disabling of tonal instruments, like a marimba with a certain well-tempered note-scale. But I think a frequency-variation should be possible. Many examples with acoustic percussion where this can be done. The elbow-pressure on a snare-skin, the wrist on a tabla, the string-bow on african drums.

cdnalsi

I think you're thinking too much of this... Yes you can put your elbow on a conga, coz that's what congeros' do, and yes you can use the glass braking as a snaredrum, and no you can't use a marimba, a vibraphone, a glockenspiel, the timpani can be pitched, but not to create fancy melodies and such. Electronics can be used, but not to make them sound melodically.

I'm sorry to say you are really over-reacting with this discussion. Of course, you're right, but it all should be very simple.

I wonder why don't you see the simple side...

LPChip

Lol, who's overreacting here? :P

But I guess that the 303 is allowed also, as long as its melodical side isn't being taken into account, but only to emulate a real drumkit.

apple-joe

Perhaps this is an occasion for exploring 'unorthodox' rhythms. Hm, perhaps not. I am able to create some interesting things in 4/4 - somewhat spiced up - but 3/4 for instance, I'm not that great with. I know how to create the basic pattern, but I haven't used it that much. Well. I'll find out.

yrk

Sounds fairly simple to me: No melodies, tunes, chords or "clean tones". Other than that - go nuts...

Nobody is saying you can't pitch your sounds, just don't play melodies with them...

I like the idea... I think I'll start messing about with some perc and see if anything interesting materializes... :-)
while (1) { fork(); }

Sam_Zen

2 cdnalsi
Over-reacting is not my thing. Ego is not at stake. I prefer things being simple, but with clear conditions.

2 apple-joe
Talking about unorthodox .., you recall this thread ? :
Odd Rhythms

apple-joe

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 cdnalsi
2 apple-joe
Odd Rhythms

Just read through some parts of it. Great reminder, I have been working 'too much' in 4/4 again recently.

LPChip

Quote from: "apple-joe"
2 apple-joe
Odd Rhythms

Just read through some parts of it. Great reminder, I have been working 'too much' in 4/4 again recently.

Even though I only work in 4/4, you can do lots in 4/4. For instance, broken beats can be made in 4/4 but they dont sound 4/4 that much anymore.

EDIT: now that I think of it, perhaps I don't work in 4/4 anymore :lol: :nuts:

apple-joe

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "apple-joe"
2 apple-joe
Odd Rhythms

Even though I only work in 4/4, you can do lots in 4/4. For instance, broken beats can be made in 4/4 but they dont sound 4/4 that much anymore.

EDIT: now that I think of it, perhaps I don't work in 4/4 anymore :lol: :nuts:

No, I think I see what you meant. There are many variations of 4/4 of course (standard "rock'n'roll" 4/4, "backbeat" - it depends also on the note 'value') - I've experimented a lot; yet I'm better in doing it than describing it. But then again, you may experiment the same way with other time signatures as well. What I am saying is that I limit myself a little if I use 4/4 exclusively.

Something to work on there, in other words.