Main Menu

macro's

Started by erwinmatijsen, June 03, 2006, 19:03:14

Previous topic - Next topic

erwinmatijsen

Hey,

I'm new to OMP and exploring its features. Checking out the possibilities of macro's, I came along a problem.

I did define SF0 as a control plugin param...
Now the problem is that I can set the parameter I want to control, which is:

Generate Macro:
plug/param FX1: LazySnake     91: Attack

But when I play the pattern, I hear no difference in the instrument.
Then I go back to the Zxx menu, and it says:

Generate Macro:
plug/param FX1: ErsDrums     91: Snare 1 Noise Decay

That's not what I entered! I tried clicking on 'set as default', but that made no difference.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Erwin
What's right is wrong
What's come has gone
What's clear and pure is not so sure

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "erwinmatijsen"Generate Macro:
plug/param FX1: LazySnake     91: Attack

But when I play the pattern, I hear no difference in the instrument.
Are you sure you used the macro in a way that there should have been some difference?

Quote from: "erwinmatijsen"
Then I go back to the Zxx menu, and it says:

Generate Macro:
plug/param FX1: ErsDrums     91: Snare 1 Noise Decay

That's not what I entered! I tried clicking on 'set as default', but that made no difference.
After reopening the Zxx menu, it seems to show the macro the way it would be for the first vst plugin(FX1), so the text there might not be the same as then when it was entered, even though the macro would be the same - maybe the macro value gives more reliable comparison point?

LPChip

After defining the macro, you also need to apply it in your pattern by placing a Zxx, range = 00 to 7F which defines how much.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

erwinmatijsen

I figured it out!

@Relabsoluness:

You're right. It shows the macro for the first plugin, so there's no problem there.
I just screwed up the command for the macro, a type-error...Dumb!

And I had an other effect-plugin running over the channel, so maybe that was a problem to...

But I'm getting it now!

One question though.. Is there a list with the exact macro-codes?
Like Z7F, Z00 etc... 'Cause I found a couple of them in the forum, but I'm not exactly sure how they work.

Thanks!
What's right is wrong
What's come has gone

LPChip

You first apply a SFx command (x = 0 to F) which specifies what macro setting to use (its related to that button SFx in the Zxx window).

Then the Zxx effect gives that parameter a value, which accepts any value from 0 to 127 (7F hex).

Lets say, you setup your macro to contrl a wet/dry parameter of the plugin (which controls how much it is being applied) uzing Z00 = no, which bypasses the plugin, 7F if full, and 3F for instance is half, where you hear 50% of the sound before it was in that plugin, and 50% of what the plugin changes.

For VSTi's this changes the volume. (0 = muted)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

erwinmatijsen

Ok, but isn't it 0 to 128 (=7F)?

Or are my calculations wrong?

It is like this, right?

00   10  ..  70
01   11      71
..     ..       ..
09   19      79
0A   1A     7A
..     ..       ..
0F   1F       7F

(I hope you get my point here.. Read it from up to down, left to right)
What's right is wrong
What's come has gone

LPChip

Midi works with 128 values. 1 to 128, or 0 to 127 ;)

128 = hex(80)

many people make this mistake so don't feel ashamed: 0 - 128 are 129 values.

erwinmatijsen

haha, duh...

Thanks for the info!
What's right is wrong
What's come has gone

LPChip

Quote from: "erwinmatijsen"haha, duh...

Thanks for the info!
np ;)

Digideus

I dunno if this is relavent to this problem (I think it is), but I had a similar problem recently trying to control parameters in a VSTi.  I found this thread quite helpful and I also noted that you MUST trigger a note with the instrument to activate the macro.

My problem was that I was already playing the VSTi on one channel and had a lot of Zxx macro commands in that channel already, so I just didn't have the space to put a 2nd or 3rd macro in the same channel.

Triggering a note for that VSTi using a 2nd channel meant the note was being triggered again, which I didn't want obviously, but I ended up just muting the 2nd channel which worked nicely because it still executes the macros quite happily.

Useful if, like me, you are editting several VSTi functions at the same time (Arpeggiator Gate, Arpeggiator On/off and Volume).

I guess thats my inexperience with VSTi's.  Is there a way to do this that DOESN'T include using multiple channels?

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Digideus"I guess thats my inexperience with VSTi's. Is there a way to do this that DOESN'T include using multiple channels?

No. Because of MPT's heritage, you can only have one effect per channel at a time (excluding volume effects). When sending MIDI macros, you use an effect. So one channel per macro per row. :( That being said, there are a *lot* of ideas floating around about how this could be improved. Check out this thread for more info. :)

LPChip

There's another workaround for this.

As you know, you can apply a plugin to an instrument, but also to a channel.

When you assign a plugin to a channel, and you then enter a Zxx command (even without a note) it will still work.

The reason is that when you play an instrument with a plugin assigned, it will temporarilly set that plugin to the channel so it'll work correctly.

So in order to control 3 parameters for 1 plugin at the same time, Assign the plugin to 3 channels, and put their Zxx effects in there.