[Hard rock]Day 9[WAV, YOUTUBE]I compose one new music everyday for one month

Started by CyrillePiano, December 17, 2018, 23:18:58

Previous topic - Next topic

CyrillePiano

Hello,

So I'm really trying to do different things with OpenMPT, to know more about it, today I tried to compose hard rock music

Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXez1vlGrCI
Wav : http://www.cyrillecomposer.com/electronic/Electronic%20-%20Hard%20rock.wav

When I write higher notes with the same sound, it gets faster, is there a way to fix that ?

Midori Mizuno

What does get faster?
The sample playback getting faster is an intended behaviour, that's how samplers work to achieve different pitches

Idk what you did in your module, as you haven't posted the source, but if you use longer musical phrases as samples, then the tempo is going to get mismatched obviously, i don't know what you'd expect. Compose using single-note samples, generally. Longer phrases/loops are mostly useful for percussion

CyrillePiano

Hello, yes I noticed it is an intended behaviour. Is there a way to have the same sound, higher but same length ? Except by changing sound ? My problem was that guitar's powerchords I used were only for natural notes, not for sharps or flats. To do a f#, I had to use F sound+1, so I was just wondering if there was a way to have the same length.

Saga Musix

Generally you will need a time stretcher for that, but time stretching is generally very slow compared to pitching the sample up and down like samplers do, and it is mathematically impossible to do it perfectly, so it will never sound perfect. Some commercial time stretchers sound really good but OpenMPT cannot use those for obvious reasons, so the time stretch tool found in its sample editor will not sound as good as those tools do.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

CyrillePiano

Thanks for your answer ! So I guess I'll have to record myself or friends for some sounds I really need  ;D

Midori Mizuno

The only other thing i can think of, aside of what Saga said, is multisampling it

LPChip

Or switch to a VSTi plugin that can get the same sound. Because VSTi plugins generate the sounds, they almost never have a problem with sounding bad when pitched up. I say almost never, because VSTi's can use samples too and really badly designed VSTi's could give this problem, or a sample player VSTi, where you load your old wave forms in will obviously produce the exact same result as OpenMPT.

The advantage of a VSTi plugin is that you start to understand how sounds are made, which allows you to get far better quality sounds in the process.

For example, if I wanted to get power chords, I would simply search for a good electric guitar sounding VSTi and apply an AMP VST plugin to it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs