Akai S950 VST (For the oldskool Hip Hop, Hardcore, Junglist heads!)

Started by Bleetz, November 25, 2018, 20:49:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Bleetz

I cannot recommend this plug-in enough. Get your oldskool breakbeat loops etc sounding proper with this.
https://www.mathieudemange.fr/rx950-classic-ad-da-converter/

It's a paid for plug-in. (But worth it if you are into this kind of music) :P

Saga Musix

For those looking for the sound of vintage sampler DACs, this plugin might also be interesting: https://tal-software.com/products/tal-dac
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

herodotas

We can add some crunchiness to samples on OpenMPT in native way ;)
life is darker than it seems

ASIKWUSpulse

May be out of subject but this is fantastic if you want to get that NES DPCM sound of your samples
https://splice.com/plugins/4440-deltamodulator-vst-au-by-xfer-records
thats going really low cost ;)
Sometimes you may want to go even lower than the native resampling ;D

Otherwise, the other contributions in this topic looks very interesting
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)

peterpiper0815

When it comes to sound old hardware sampler are overhyped IMO. Only people who make music and know the machines will care. People who are "just" listening really don't care about the machines. What many people often forget is the way these old machines are limited (channels, polyphony, sampletime, no waveform display etc) and the fun to turn knobs and faders and of course the psychological effect sitting in front of a machine that was used by xyz.
The 950 plugin doesn't sound like the 950 and even if it would it doesn't kick you in the direction to make music that sound like your musical heros from the 90s. That was the bad news. Now the good news is: You can still make that kind of music.
1. Download OpenMPT
2. set the Resampling to 'no interpolation'
3. in sample edit use normalize and then amplify just a bit more to your taste (120%-180%)
3. select the whole sample and resample to a lower samplerate (try 13020)
4. Alternatively you can render your sample(s) a few semitones up then use step2 and 3 and play it back in its original pitch.
5. If it sounds too harsh use a nice free filter plugin (SonEQFREE, Filterbank v3, TDR Nova) to cut some of the high frequencies.
6. IMPORTANT: Limit samplelength. Don't use more than 10 seconds sampletime (not for one sample but for all together!). Don't use more than 8 channels. Not more than 32 samples

OpenMPT is perfect for the genres you mentioned. Theres really no need to spend money on a plugin that won't really work.
BTW I love hardware (got the s900, the s950, TX16W, FZ1, Roland S10 , MPC2000 and worked with the Roland W30,Emu E64, s3000). But I also love OpenMPT because the way it sound and the fun factor while making music is camparable to hardware. Not like the usual DAW.

Bleetz

Thanks for the info. I also own a Roland W30 but the cursor knob and floppy have died and I'm too poor and lazy to fix them at the min. :(
The RX950 doesn't seem just to add "crunchiness" it kind of adds a warmth to breaks which is instantly satisfying by turning the out down and input up.
This is purely subjective though, but sounds good to me. :P
I know Modplug can downsample and mangle samples awesomely I've messed with it for years. Just thought I'd give a heads up on this plugin for the lazy like me. ;)

Rx950 sounds crap on 909, 808 kicks and if you put it on the master, but as I said it brings instant gratification on certain breaks (for the lazy). Shame there isn't a demo version  :-\

I know a software plugin isn't gonna sound like hardware through a mixer. But as effects plugins go, I was pleasantly surprised by it.
I didn't expect it to make my music sound like my heroes from the 90's either lol

peace

herodotas

Try https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/ plugins, free, but high quality, only 32 bits, but this is not a problem in Openmpt.
life is darker than it seems

Bleetz

Coooool! 1950s! That's what I call OLDSKOOL! Nice one!  ;)
Some interesting stuff on there... Thanks.