How to enable the s9x Sound Control Effect

Started by aguynotcalledgerald, November 07, 2018, 16:24:12

Previous topic - Next topic

aguynotcalledgerald

I'm new to trackers and see from the wiki that to enable reverb per channel I must use the s9x effect.

Could somebody please explain how to add this to a project and how to trigger the hex parameter to enable/disable different effects?

Thanks!

Saga Musix

Please do not use this effect. There is no way to configure which reverb parameters should be used, so it may sound different on anyone else's OpenMPT setup. Other module players do not support this effect at all. The reverb is also of very low quality (it was written to perform well on mid-90s computers).
A much better alternative is to use a reverb plugin, such as any VST reverb plugin, or the DirectX Media Effects (WavesReverb, I3DL2Reverb) that you can find on any standard OpenMPT installation. The latter are also supported by external module players like XMPlay.

All that being said, the effect codes for enabling and disabling reverb can be found in the effect reference.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

aguynotcalledgerald

Thanks for the fast reply. I am going use the modules with libxmp so should be guaranteed consistent playback and VSTs are ruled out for this reason, but any DSP I can use is good  - even if it's bad.  :)

I'm drawing a blank as to where exactly to put these parameter codes though since I'm a complete tracker n00b.

Saga Musix

libxmp doesn't support S9x or any other DSPs supported by OpenMPT. If you were going to use libbass or libopenmpt, you could make use of WavesReverb and I3DL2Reverb, as said.  But S98/S99 reverb is pretty much exclusive to OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

aguynotcalledgerald

Aah, very good info - thanks for that. I'll have a look at libopenmpt, cheers!