[SOLVED] Find / Replace Can't Find / Replace Anything

Started by I-S3-O, October 18, 2018, 02:54:20

Previous topic - Next topic

I-S3-O

I'm having a problem getting Find / Replace to do even the simplest of tasks. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't know.

All I want to do is replace v64 with v48; that's it. I was going to isolate it to only one channel and instrument, but since that seemed too hard, I thought I'd just select the ones I wanted to change. It just doesn't want to cooperate.

The attached pictures best show what I'm trying to do.

Can someone help? Please and thank you.

teimoso

Commands starting with "v" in the volume column are Set Volume commands (vxx). Select "v: Set Volume" in the "Volume Effect" drop-down in both the "Find" and "Replace" tabs, and it should work.
My bad, the volume data should've been replaced anyway. Saga Musix is right; those are most likely default volume commands.

QuoteI was going to isolate it to only one channel and instrument, but since that seemed too hard, I thought I'd just select the ones I wanted to change.

In the "Find" tab, have you tried checking the "Only in channels" checkbox and limiting the range to the specific channel you want, as well as selecting the instrument you want to find in the Instrument drop-down? See the attached image for an example (assuming you want to find all instances of Instrument 1 on Channel 1).

Saga Musix

If those volume commands appear with a slightly faded-out color (i.e. an even darker green than the others), then they are "default" volume commands, i.e. they represent the default volume as configured in the sample properties (or global volume in instrument properties for plugin-based instruments). Those commands do not actually exist in the pattern, and OpenMPT only shows them for convenience. If you want to search for those, you need to search for an empty instead.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Well spotted Saga. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here seeing the other channels.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

I-S3-O

Quote from: Saga Musix on October 18, 2018, 06:55:26
... If you want to search for those, you need to search for an empty instead.

I'm not sure what you mean by this... Do you mean have nothing in the volume data dropdown?

teimoso

I think they mean to uncheck "Volume Data" and set the "Volume Effect" drop-down to "None" in the Find tab.
For the case in your screenshots, you would want to do the above, and then in the Replace tab, select "v: Set Volume" in the "Volume Effect" drop-down and set the "Volume Data" to your desired value. Keep in mind that this will also write a volume command in completely empty pattern rows if you don't specify something else to search for (like a note or instrument).

Alternatively, though it doesn't have the searching flexibility of Find / Replace, you could use the Amplify action (accessible through the context menu or, with default keybindings, Ctrl+M) on a selection you want to change the volume of.

Saga Musix

Yes, it would definitely make more sense to use the Amplify function, as it's made exactly for this purpose (given that you only want to replace the data inside one pattern and not all patterns.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

I-S3-O

No, I actually wanted it to be across the entire song. Since Mxx doesn't work, I have to make my own now. Nonetheless that amplify thing is nifty to know.

I tried what you said before, and it works, but I don't know what the "empty" thing means. I tried unchecking Volume Data while having everything else checked and it doesn't seem to have worked. Unless you wanted me to do something else (see attached).

UPDATE: Nevermind. I got it working. Thanks to all of you for helping me out. I really appreciate this.