One Voice Compo Results!

Started by Louigi Verona, May 22, 2006, 15:42:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Here they are:
http://music.fbm.ru/index.php?f=results

I really want to thank everybody who participated! Every tune was worth a listen, and there are some really great works! Personally, I discovered some new names and a couple of people really amazed me in the most positive way.
And the judges did a great job! We had some delays due to organizational problems, but I quess you can't prevent stuff like that, especially when things are done over the Internet!
Anyway, thanks for your patience and for your skills and time and interest! I really hope this OVC was fun and useful to you!
In case you are interested, we are planning to run melody oriented compos in the future, so stay tuned!

Louigi Verona.

speed-goddamn-focus

Awesome compo, and congratulations to the winner! A big thank you to the judges for taking the time and effort, their constructive criticism and helpful advice. I was especially intrigued by Gopher's essays and PPH's fascination with endings. Finally a big thank you to Louigi for organizing.

PPH

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"Awesome compo, and congratulations to the winner! A big thank you to the judges for taking the time and effort, their constructive criticism and helpful advice. I was especially intrigued by Gopher's essays and PPH's fascination with endings. Finally a big thank you to Louigi for organizing.

Yeah, I realized my own fascination with endings when I was writing the comments. If you look at my reviews at CTG, it's there too :D Anyway, I think the ending is a common place to make mistakes.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

apple-joe

Now I understand a little better why it took so long. Seems like the judges spent some time on the listening/judging.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "PPH"Yeah, I realized my own fascination with endings when I was writing the comments. If you look at my reviews at CTG, it's there too :D Anyway, I think the ending is a common place to make mistakes.
Someone should write a tutorial on endings.

Louigi Verona

agreed. If you do, PPH, we will make a link from OVC site to that article. Please, include examples from classical music in your essay.

LPChip

Compo was great, but I strongly have the feeling that sound quality DID played a role in it, while the rules said it wouldn't.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

QuoteCompo was great, but I strongly have the feeling that sound quality DID played a role in it, while the rules said it wouldn't.

Your strong feeling is wrong, believe me. I've talked to the judges all the time and I know what was important in judging - it certainly wasn't sound quality.

georg

It was bribes. The only way to deal with a judge...

EDIT - We already know PPH is a very sneaky person! - http://www.ctgmusic.com/topic.php?id=6233
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

Louigi Verona

georg, you are a real entertainer!!! )))

georg

I wasn't really sure it was funny. I thought the people would be, like wtf??
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

KrazyKatz

I am pleased with the commentry on my work. I realise that some of the judges were seeking something to impress outright, where as my piece was intentionally designed to create an effect that overtakes you (which is impressive in its own way).
It is not a standalone tune, and I find that its coherence in a non-melodic- melodic way is the beauty of it. I do however believe that the assumption of a tune like melody is not a nesscesity as part of the scoring but the piece overall. Whilst I achieved 8th place, the commentry indicates that I achieved the goal I was looking for.

Just by the way, I think that 3rd place should have taken 1st, and that 1st place outright had a bassline which is contradictory to the rules...But thats me. Got to find out what Violin samples he was using though. Bloody good.

I would like the opportunity to judge in future and Thank all the participants for the outstanding pieces to contend with, aswell as the judges seriousness and expertise.

Keep up the greatness.

Y
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com