Note timing randomisation

Started by Bogzla, July 16, 2018, 08:42:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogzla

I'm trying to create a kind of tribal drumming section in a track, and somewhere in the back of my mind I had recollections of a setting in modplug tracker instruments having the ability to randomise note timings very slightly to 'humanise' the feel.

Can't find it in the current OpenMPT implementation (just vol, panning, reso & cutoff), so I'm probably misremembering.. but anyway, does anyone know of a way to achieve this, possibly with a VST? What I'm going for is more than one drum being hit with a human error feel (not the same perfect synchrony with each hit).

cheers!

Saga Musix

No, such an option never existed, you have to either do it manually (e.g. using SDx effects) or hope that the plugin you use provides such an option (which is sometimes the case for "natural-sounding" plugins).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

In the past, I created a webbased script where you could paste a pattern in your browser and submit it to the webpage. It would then generate a humanized pattern with random SDx commands. I do not have that script anymore though. Maybe you remember that?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Bogzla

I don't think so. I might be thinking of fruityloops or some other program I played around with at school.
I don't suppose there is a way to have the built in LFO control SDx command values?

Saga Musix

No, plugins cannot alter the interpretation of pattern data. But if you are working with plugins anyway, you can try something like Humanisator from Tobybear's MidiBag plugin collection. It won't work with sample-based plugins but it might be just what you're after.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Bogzla

Aha, perfect!

>Humanisator selected as the instrument's Plugin
>output Humanisator to chosen sampler / synth (Shortcircuit 2 is working for me)
>Instrument's 'new note action' needs to be set to continue else it cuts off the sample if humanisator timing is used.

Thanks so much  8)