Bad VST preset load

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), May 16, 2018, 13:37:58

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi,

I recently noticed that some VSTIs perfectly working on old OpenMPT versions, don't work well anymore on newer versions.

For instance, a guitar VSTI I love, "Revitar 2", doesn't load the module saved presets anymore, when reloaded in recent OpenMPT versions (as if no preset was made in the VST plugin), whereas it does perfectly in, for instance, OpenMPT 01 19 04 00, the one used, years ago, to compose modules using it.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1348

I first thought it was caused by changing from 32 to 64 bits, but it seems not, as I also tried the bridged 32 bits option.

I don't know if someone else got this kind of issue, or if it's been noticed before, so I thought it could be useful to report it here.

Cheers

Saga Musix

I tried to reproduce this by saving a module with an instance of Revitar 2.01 in OpenMPT 1.19.04.00, and it sounded exactly the same in OpenMPT 1.27. Note that some plugins have poor forwards-compatibility so if you were using an older version of the same plugin in OpenMPT 1.19 than you are now using with OpenMPT 1.27, it might be the case that the plugin is simply unable to load the settings from its previous version. Generally this is a plugin issue, not an OpenMPT issue, and similar effects will be observed in other hosts as well.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Well, I have a module saved back then with 1.19 (32 bits system), which definitively sounds different on 1.27 (64 bits system), as if presets had changed. I tryed to save preset from the module on 1.19, then load the same module on 1.27 and load the saved preset into it, and it still sounds different.

Saga Musix

Are you using the exact same version of the VST plugin? If so, please create a minimal testcase (just that one plugin in a song).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Yes, exactky. OK, I will do that.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

I even have a case where we don't ear anymore the VST (Revitar 2.0, 32 bits bridged) when played in 1.27.01.00, after beeing saved in 1.19.04.00. I'll send you a module.

Saga Musix

As far as I can tell, it only happens when the plugin is bridged, so it's not a general incompatibility of OpenMPT 1.27.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

OK. And considering the fact that 32 bits and 64 bits versions of Revitar seem not to be exactly the same, no solution, then, to load them properly in new versions.

Saga Musix

Well, I will see why it happens in the plugin bridge, but I cannot promise a quick fix.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Thanks for the help, anyway ;-)

Saga Musix

Turns out that the problem was much more simple than I thought, and it will affect any plugins with more than 64 parameters. It will be fixed in the next release.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Great, then I'm glad to have contributed.

Saga Musix

You can download a test version to verify that everything works as intended now:
https://builds.openmpt.org/builds/auto/openmpt/bin.win32/1.27/openmpt-win32-1.27.07.03-r10235.7z (32-bit)
or
https://builds.openmpt.org/builds/auto/openmpt/bin.win64/1.27/openmpt-win64-1.27.07.03-r10235.7z (64-bit)

The regular release is planned for the weekend, but it would be nice to get some feedback before that.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

It seems to work perfectly, now, including with 32 bits bridged 2.0 version ;-)

Excellent, now I can reload very old mods ;-)

Thanks !