Author Topic: Playback via kernel streaming on non-xp OS is possible  (Read 100 times)

mptntguru

Playback via kernel streaming on non-xp OS is possible
« on: November 11, 2017, 14:25:56 »
Since my two previous topics were locked for no reasons I first want to declare that I have stopped using openmpt because it does not have best resampling algos as per words of the developer and because it has no support for recording cc64. In one of my topics i have asked if there is a player to support wavert output and got lock instead of the answer. So I made my own search and want to share the info.
First of all wavert is not KS at all. KS is a part of wdm-drivers. There are wdm and nonwdm drivers for soundcards. Luckily creative products for pci slots run under kx driver which is wdm and for example esi juli also works with KS on all operating systems since XP. It's reported that KS works on pci soundcards. As for foobar it supports KS only on XP and it's the problem of foobar2000 and not of windows' version. So you can have KS on win7, 8, 10 without problems for which you should use albumplayer by Antonov.
As for wavert it's nothing that special and wasapi in exclusive modes uses it for bypassing its own mixer. It's not as low level as KS and don't expect the same result from it. Albumplayer has KS extras and KS standard ouputs. Extras has shorter chain but player's volume fader does not work with it. I recommend using one core of cpu to avoid electrical noises + direct input. This player currently is the best one and it's free. As for foobar it has become a disappointment for me because of bad KS support and some other reasons.