[music theory] Understanding Comfortably Numb by 12tone

Started by Mr.Eagle, October 14, 2017, 12:09:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Eagle

Recently I found this very informative and technically well made video about one of my favourite songs.
I hope you find it as interesting as I do... :)

Understanding Comfortably Numb

QuoteIs there anybody out there? Pink Floyd's The Wall is a masterpiece, fusing a complex narrative with brilliantly written music, and possibly its greatest moment is Comfortably Numb. It shows the main character trapped within his own head, and juxtaposes the doctor trying to pull him back against his own internal monologue, but how? Musically speaking, what's the trick? Well, with some very clever uses of relatively simple musical ideas, the song manages to create two wildly different harmonic worlds to carry the two halves of the song's story. Plus, we take a look at what is considered by many to be one of the greatest guitar solos ever, and break down a bit of the structure underneath that, too!

And if you don't know the song yet. Well, here it is:
https://youtu.be/iJZYG5qwHHI
sorry for my bad English

Saga Musix

Sometimes I really wonder if musicians really intended exactly what those analysts find their music... (hint: if you are ever going to analyze my music, the answer is most likely "no" ;))
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Mr.Eagle

Quote from: Saga Musix on October 15, 2017, 21:56:10
Sometimes I really wonder if musicians really intended exactly what those analysts find their music.

Most probably not.
But in this case and in the context of the whole album (and of course the movie), the analysis may be quite accurate. And even if not, I like the style of the video very much... ;)
sorry for my bad English