Author Topic: Some custom MPT icons I made  (Read 580 times)

Offline MiDoRi

• Shy artist
    • BotB profile
  • Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64 and XP SP3 x86
Some custom MPT icons I made
« on: September 07, 2017, 22:43:58 »

Felt like making some new icons for MPT, and thought I'd share them, along with the sources, maybe someone finds them useful.
For now the set contains icons of following sizes: 128px, 64px, 48px 32px (three versions) and 16px (two versions)
Edit: Added 48px, 32px and 16px 3D-style icons
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 21:48:57 by MiDoRi »

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Re: Some custom MPT icons I made
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 22:51:42 »
Nice, especially the first one. ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline MiDoRi

• Shy artist
    • BotB profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 01:25:33 »

Offline manx

• OpenMPT Developers
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:36:50 »
I actually like the MPT_*px.ico icons better than anything we are currently using (both as website favicon as well as mptrack.exe and module file icons).

I particular, I never liked the current mptrack.exe or module file icon. The film-like appearance gives the impression it had something to do with video, which is completely misleading.

Offline MiDoRi

• Shy artist
    • BotB profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:03:42 »
Yeah, the current icon might suggest it's a video editor rather than a tracker (I actually like it tho, because i got so used to it, lol). Module icons are pretty much spot on as they currently are, in contrast, with their tracker grid and C-5 note, they give away what the file contains at a glance imo (they might just need a style refactor, and that's it, but i don't feel like it's necessary)

BTW, random suggestion: If you're ever going to change the icon set to something new, be it mine or someone else's, i'd rather keep original ones inside the executable's resources just in case, because I can totally relate to people who got used to them, and want to set their shortcut icons manually to the old ones :)

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:37:44 »
I think we could consider changing the icon(s) in 1.28. Especially at smaller sizes it's easier to recognize than the film strip. For that I'd like to use the variant with the black background (64px/128px), the lighter background doesn't look so nice IMHO. The file icon could definitely use a style update, so if you want to give it a try, be my guest. ;) Nothing too drastic, but maybe having stronger colors like in the icons you showcased here. The original icon can be found at https://download.openmpt.org/resources/graphics/mpt_document.zip
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline Harbinger

• Extreme artist
  • Operating System: Windows XP
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 22:04:38 »
I do like the 'm over the p' part of the logo, but the audio plug doesn't quite match. OTOH, I don't know what would be better. Perhaps a picture of an electrical plug, if we're focusing on the 'plug' part of Modplug.  :o

That being said, I do think it's time for an upgrade. Thanx to our devs, the new features and fixes have made the modplug experience better, and it promises to be even better with the upcoming 1.27. And this logo is an encellent push in the right direction for the modplug 'brand' (do we have a brand?)...8)

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 22:43:03 »
Well, it's a faithful copy of the existing ModPlug logo, including the audio plug, and I think it matches quite well (both in the original and here). It might have to be edited at lower resolution to make the plug more obvious though.
An audio plug also delivers the message that this is an audio application much more directly than an electrical plug - which is a metaphor that I would like to reserve for other uses anyway, such as VST plugins or user scripts.

Offline manx

• OpenMPT Developers
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 12:19:41 »