Author Topic: New user to OpenMPT who is blind  (Read 819 times)

Offline Diamond

• Workaholic artist
Re: New user to OpenMPT who is blind
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2017, 00:06:27 »
Its downside is that you need to memorize which sample is which, because (even for sighted users) there is no way to see which sample number belongs to which sample name.

Interestingly, I have never found this to be much of a problem since typing the sample number to assign it previews the sample as well.

Offline musicalman

• Active artist
  • Operating System: Windows 10 X64
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2017, 03:11:31 »
I really don't know how to describe this on nice easy-to-explain terms but I will do my best. The sample map editor I am talking about is in a separate dialog. I go to instruments with alt n, then use the mouse to find the spin box with the instrument number and bring that to focus. Once that's done, I can tab around and adjust things, and eventually I will find an unlabeled graphic. IIRC Jaws did see a sample map editor label, but can't remember now. If I double-clicked that, I would be brought into a dialog with a title of "sample map" which had a list box of samples, a slider, and a checkbox labeled show all samples, with an OK and cancel button. If you moved the mouse around, There were also numbers which I think were the annotations indicating which samples were used on the keys of the mapping keyboard. The slider IIRC scrolled the keyboard. So I'd go in the sample list, focus on the sample I wanted to apply, and then mouse around the keyboard, clicking on the keys I wanted assigned to that sample. So for example if all keys were mapped to sample 1 and I wanted some keys to use 2, I'd focus sample 2 in the list, then click on the keys I wanted 2 assigned to. Go ahead and cringe. I sure do when I think about it. I have a lot to learn.

Based on what I read I presume this is not the dialog recommended for me to go into. If this is the case then any tips for going into the other one?

Offline Diamond

• Workaholic artist
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2017, 06:52:56 »
Well, you're at least halfway there.  On the "Instruments" tab, put focus in the instrument number spin box as you are already doing and Shift Tab once.  The sample map I am referring to will now have focus.  The problem is that as I said, I discovered with NVDA it unfortunately just sees the control as a graphic, but if you try it with JAWS it should speak note/sample number when navigating with the Arrow keys as I described.  For the record, I'm not sure I understand how or why even JAWS is reading anything from this section since according to Saga Musix, it is a bitmapped control similar to the pattern view.

Offline Diamond

• Workaholic artist
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2017, 06:57:33 »
Oh yes, and Make sure that the main window and document window are both maximized.  I vaguely remember that JAWS might not speak anything in the sample map otherwise.

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 7 x64
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2017, 12:52:33 »
Yeah, that's a side effect of drawing optimizations - bitmapped areas that are not visible are also not updated, so JAWS cannot see any of the strings that would end up on that bitmap.
ยป No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline musicalman

• Active artist
  • Operating System: Windows 10 X64
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2017, 17:44:23 »
Wow, just tried this with Jaws and it does read things. Didn't try adjusting the sample map yet but the unlabeled graphic NVDA sees speaks a lot of information with Jaws, which I don't remember it ever doing last year when I tried it. I'll play with it more in a bit.

Offline Diamond

• Workaholic artist
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2017, 18:04:26 »
It may not have worked when you tried it last year if the window wasn't maximized.  I discovered this after I wasted time filing a bug report.  It has worked for me since I first tried OpenMPT many many years ago.  Although back then it was still just called ModPlug Tracker before it went open source.