Quality in comparison to other trackers

Started by weyoun_9th, July 12, 2017, 14:54:21

Previous topic - Next topic

weyoun_9th

Hi there,
I tried ProTracker 2.3D clone and Schism and the first thing that came in my mind is: This sounds better then OpenMPT.

I opened Setup - Soundcard - Device and tried all options. But it stays the same. In comparison to other trackers it sounds like a light version.

Do you have this problem too or know how come?

Thanks
Weyoun 9th

Saga Musix

The ProTracker 2.3D clone specifically emulates the Amiga's Soundchip (Paula), which sounds somewhat different from the expected sound of a modern audio application. However, OpenMPT 1.27 will feature such an emulation as well for Amiga modules, so for MODs it will sound almost identical to the ProTracker clone.

Schism Tracker sounds pretty much identical to OpenMPT - it is based on the same original mixing code with different resampling filters, but all in all its sound is almost identical.
With this kind of vague descripting it's hard to guess what you mean by "light version". Do you have any particular modules that sound different? Can you create a WAV export of those modules in Schism Tracker and OpenMPT for a comparison?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

weyoun_9th

Yeah, than I think the difference lies in the paula emulation :-)

With Protracker 2.3D clone it sounds more bassy...

I'm looking forward to OpenMPT 1.27 :-) Have you ever thought about Themes instead of just colours to make it look like oldschool trackers?

Thanks
Weyoun 9th

Saga Musix

QuoteHave you ever thought about Themes instead of just colours to make it look like oldschool trackers?
Naturally this question has been asked more than once in (Open)MPT's 20 years of lifetime and the answer is no, there will not be any theming support. If you don't like the look of your operating system, then theme your operating system and not single applications.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

weyoun_9th

So Microsoft does not like its own OS when letting you change the appearance of Office or Visual Studio? Not to mention all Adobe programs or Unity...

I think there is a reason why it has been ask a few times over the years ;-)

Thanks
Weyoun 9th

manx

Adding theme support would be equivalent to rewriting the complete GUI. There exist a long-term plan to replace the MFC code with QT (some day, this is YEARS away).
QT will automatically give theme support. Adding theme support before that is done would be an insane waste of time.

Saga Musix

We're talking about 3MB of GUI code that is spread over almost 200 files, and of course recreating every single dialog and tab in Qt's dialog editor. It may be "easy" for some weird definition of easy ("diligent routine work" would probably be a more suitable description - nothing about a code base that has been growing for 20 years is ever "easy"), but this is not something that can be done over night by replacing 100 lines of code. What you linked to is a very high-level view of the things that need to be done. If it was that simple, it would have already been done.

Anyway, back on topic - you still have not provided any examples that could show how OpenMPT sounds "lighter" than Schism. Without such an example there is no way I could advise what you need to change.