Play MIDI files with soundfont

Started by 607, July 01, 2017, 09:26:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey.
For a while, I've been using OpenMPT to open and play midi files. However, I have always had to substitute the sounds it opened with sounds that I could actually make sense of, and listen to the original elsewhere if I wanted to know how it really sounded.
I have tried many times to import a soundfont into OpenMPT, but without success. How is it done?

Saga Musix

OpenMPT is not a MIDI player. Why do you do that? OpenMPT cannot import many events in MIDI files, which a normal MIDI player would play with ease.
Anyway, to change the default instruments that OpenMPT uses for MIDI import, you need to change the MIDI Library in the tree view.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Because in OpenMPT I can easily look at notes' data, play back at different speeds, edit tracks together, remove notes or tracks, et cetera. I don't know of any other program that can even come anywhere close to such functionality.
I've tried playing around with that before, but never succeeded. The reason that the default sounds for me are so unusable is probably because I messed up something with that before. But I'll look at the wiki page, I think I might be able to figure it out then.

Saga Musix

If you just want to reset the sounds to the defaults, you can also locate OpenMPT's config file (Help -> Show Settings Folder, mptrack.ini) and erase the complete "[Midi Library]" block.

QuoteI don't know of any other program that can even come anywhere close to such functionality.
Any MIDI editor should be able to do that, and also much better than OpenMPT because OpenMPT was never designed to edit MIDI files. It always has to convert the MIDI data to a module representation and then convert that back to MIDI, which is always a lossy process. MIDI import is only thought as a help for importing old projects or remix stems, but not to load and re-save MIDI files.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Hm, I didn't know software designed specifically as a midi editor existed. Interesting, I'll look into that as well.

RyanBram

Quote from: 607 on July 01, 2017, 12:57:25
Hm, I didn't know software designed specifically as a midi editor existed. Interesting, I'll look into that as well.

You may want to try Sekaiju, one of the most feature complete open source midi editor. Or you can try Aria Maestosa, Anvil Studio, Rosegarden (for Linux), and maybe Musescore if you prefer to edit musical notes.

If you want to edit MIDI soundbanks, you can try Polyphone and Viena.

If you want to render MIDI music to WAV or MP3, you can try Synthfont1.

Quote from: RyanBram on July 02, 2017, 09:41:34
Quote from: 607 on July 01, 2017, 12:57:25

You may want to try Sekaiju, one of the most feature complete open source midi editor. Or you can try Aria Maestosa, Anvil Studio, Rosegarden (for Linux), and maybe Musescore if you prefer to edit musical notes.

If you want to edit MIDI soundbanks, you can try Polyphone and Viena.

If you want to render MIDI music to WAV or MP3, you can try Synthfont1.
I'm trying Sekaiju, but I only got it to actually play sounds once, and I have no idea how.
I'm sorry for me being a bit of a nuisance, if I am.

I've tried Anvil Studio as well, and couldn't figure out how to do what my original question here was.
Apparently it's been way over a month since I wanted to do this, and I still haven't figured it out. Thus, I'll go back to using OpenMPT for midi editing. :)

vince94

I've used Sekaiju in conjunction with something called VirtualMIDISynth (http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth) to do what you have in mind. PM me if you'd like me to walk you through how to get it up and running.