MP3 export option is missing

Started by Lo Bellver, January 01, 2017, 10:05:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Lo Bellver

I downloaded the latest version and I wanted to export to MP3. I click in the menu where it says "export as lossy (Opus, Vorbis, Mp3)" but then the mp3 option doesn't appear anywhere.

LPChip

You need to manually add the lame encoder into the folder for mp3 export. This is due to the license attached to the mp3 encoder. It is freely available for download, but when you want to ship it with your program, then suddenly you need to pay money. To keep modplug free, this has not been done.

See also: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Saving_and_exporting (has link to an mp3 codec.)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

You need some external libraries for MP3 export. Please read the manual chapter "Saving and exporting" for more information.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Lo Bellver

Andarus443

I can't find the extentsion listed in saving and exporting. I have the dll file but when I go to %APPDATA%\OpenMPT\Components\ regardless of 86 or 64 I get a "folder not found" error. I've checked the path myself and it goes through Users and Roaming. Updated today. Is there a pathing bug that was missed? Is the wiki out of date? Please help.

manx

Quote from: Andarus443 on September 24, 2017, 04:25:33
I have the dll file but when I go to %APPDATA%\OpenMPT\Components\ regardless of 86 or 64 I get a "folder not found" error. I've checked the path myself and it goes through Users and Roaming.

Go to %APPDATA%\OpenMPT and create the Components and Components\x86 or Components\x64 folders yourself. Put the matching DLL into it.

Saga Musix

Also note that this is only the correct location for putting the codecs in OpenMPT 1.27, which will be released in a few days. For OpenMPT 1.26, the correct location is mentioned in the help file that ships with OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

L973

Sorry for necroposting, but I'm afraid the trick isn't working anymore. +All traces of it were removed from the Wiki page  :'(

Saga Musix

There is no longer any "trick" as of OpenMPT 1.28 as all MP3 patents expired and OpenMPT ships with its own copy of the LAME MP3 encoder now. File -> Stream Export -> Select MP3 in the format dropdown and you're set. The only reason I can imagine it could be missing is that openmpt-lame.dll was deliberately removed from the OpenMPT folder, or because you tried to install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of OpenMPT into the same folder and thus a mix of 32-bit and 64- binaries is placed there.
If (after you have been to the Stream Export dialog) you go to Help -> About OpenMPT -> Components, do you see LAME in the section of loaded components or unloaded components?

L973

Uhm... hope I can be forgiven for such a late reply  ;D Thank you so much Saga Musix, your reply really helped (also love your contributions to the scene, the software, the modules, simply priceless  :D ) ...aand that was a great occasion to upgrade to 1.28 :) (I also tried an old 1.21 build in the meantime but liked the 1.28 exported MP3 sound better).
*signing off back into my lurk cave*