Fix Stop button behaviors in OpenMPT

Started by Polaris911, December 03, 2016, 17:03:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Polaris911

I have a lot of trouble with the playback controls in OpenMPT. Particularly the STOP buttons. I say buttons plural because there are 2 Stop buttons.. the Song Stop button and the Pattern stop button.

First Song Stop:
When I press Song Stop, the song halts at it's current position. It feels like the song is pausing rather than stopping, because the song doesn't jump back to the very beginning right away. This doesn't happen until after you press Play again. It would be better if when the user presses Song Stop, the song jumps back to the beginning immediately.

Secondly, Pattern Stop:
The Pattern Stop button in it's current state *pauses* the current pattern on the current row. When you press Play Song again, the song continues from the paused row. In essence, the pattern Stop button is really a Pause button. This feature is not consistent with the Song Stop button, which when pressed halts the song, and when the user presses Play again, it starts all over at the beginning of the song rather than the current row. Can you please make the Pattern Stop button in the pattern editor jump up to row 0 of the current pattern? A Pattern Pause button should also be available.

Does anyone else agree that the Stop button behaviors in their current state are not consistent with your expectations?

LPChip

I'm used to how it works now, but I do think you have a point.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Toast

I would have to agree with this. I've gotten used to it too, but I also see the use in the pattern stop because it lets you see some specific details of what audio is going on at that point in the song.

For example, let's say I had my main melody with the impact on the downbeat of the first beat. If I did the pattern stop button there, I would listen to that to see if that sounds like a good end-note impact for my song. At times, this definitely works.

I hope this helped!

-Toast

Polaris911

Toast: I agree with you that the button serves a purpose, but I think it would be better labeled "Pause" rather than "Stop". I think the solution is both relabeling the button as Pause, and adding a new button Stop Pattern button which jumps back to row 0 of the current pattern.  :P

Saga Musix

The fact that there is a stop icon but it actually pauses the pattern is confusing indeed, and having two icons that  do the same thing on the screen is redundant at best, so it should either be repurposed or get a different icon and description.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.