I need a good bell vst

Started by Lo Bellver, September 18, 2016, 20:12:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Lo Bellver

One that sounds like a church bell, a good deep sounding bell. Like a bell Ennio Morricone would use for the soundtrack of one of his Spaghetti western soundtracks.

Anyone can help me?

Saga Musix

Since I am not familiar with the movies you're referencing, can you give some more details of the sound you're after? E.g. is it supposed to sound more realistic or more synthetic, etc...
If it's supposed to be more realistic, chances are high that you don't even need a VSTi, since that would then most likely be a sampler plugin, so you could just use samples to begin with, for example some free ones from https://freesound.org/.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I'm pretty sure bell sounds can be great with simple synthesis. All the plugin needs to do is being able to modulate sounds. I'm pretty sure superwave P8 (which can do this) has a good sounding bell preset.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/superwave_p8_by_superwave

EDIT: Checked it, but Superwave P8 does not natively comes with a bell like sound.

I quickly tried to make a bell kind of preset, and although it sounds nice, it's not exactly the same as I heard in the video. I've attached the preset. One warning, If you play many notes, they will stack and eventually distort your sound. They have a long fade out to emulate a real church bell like tail.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Just checked this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0-wbXC3pQ

They're not really bells. This is more like what a Moog would give you. '80's synth bells. The futuristic kind. SuperWave P8 should still be able to make that though, otherwise Synth1 should be able to do it. Of course FM7 and FM8 or Absynth are ones that definitely have a preset like this, but they are not free plugins.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

That's not a synth bell though, that's a dulcimer or something very similar (in which case you'd be better off with a sampler or soundfont player).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Lo Bellver

I need them to sound realistic, authentic church bells, but be able to have several octaves. I'm not sure a sample would be enough.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Lo Bellver on September 19, 2016, 22:39:39I'm not sure a sample would be enough.
How about more than one? ;) Any good sample source (and sampler plugin) is multisampled, i.e. using different samples for the different octaves (or notes) of an instrument. A good starting point might be a high quality soundfont (try e.g. SGM-180 or ConcertGM with a soundfont player plugin like Phenome - OpenMPT's own soundfont support is most likely not good enough for this).