Elephant in a Toaster - chiptune from Evoke 2016

Started by Louigi Verona, August 15, 2016, 09:30:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Myself and xTr1m wrote this together at a party. We got 4th place (out of 7 tunes).
We think theoretically we could've done better, but in the party version we made a technical mistake and one of our samples was slightly out of tune, but enough so that it was noticeable and did not sound very good. Below you can hear the corrected version :)

https://soundcloud.com/louigiverona/elephant-in-a-toaster

LPChip

Mario anyone? :P

And yeah, that sample is terribly out of tune... Surprisingly it still got 4th. Many drunk people I think, but apparently not enough? :P

Altogether its a pretty okay tune. A bit short maybe. It could benefit from repetition and slight changes from patterns.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Sounds like an mashup beetwen Jazz and Chiptune. I think the track is nice, but like LPChip pointed out, its to short.

QuoteAnd yeah, that sample is terribly out of tune... Surprisingly it still got 4th. Many drunk people I think, but apparently not enough? :P
The hooch is atleast good for something :P.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

uncloned

Louigi Verona

Thanks for all the comments!

Remember - it was a party coop! So that adds some "sympathy points" ;)

uncloned

Hey Lougi, do you know I created an instrument that creates drones? It is called an aeolian harp and my twist was to make it electric by adding guitar pickups. It is placed outdoors and played by the wind (and rain, hail, snow, etc.) http://chrisvaisvil.com/storm-front-as-heard-by-a-diy-electric-aeolian-harp-harmonic-series/

You need to turn it up at first to get the full effect. The radar photo below is of the actual event I recorded.  (I don't mean to hijack your thread - I know you like drones and thought you'd be interested.)

Louigi Verona

Wow, Chris, this is absolutely fascinating!!!

I remember wanting to create something like that, but purely mechanical. I love the audio very much, although in some places it goes way over :)

I also saw the photos of the instrument in your blog post. Really nice!

Are you continuing to record with it?

uncloned

Hi Louigi,

Yes I have been slowly improving on the instrument, reducing noise and improving the ability to withstand being outdoors. My blog is searchable and this link is to a search for "aeolian" http://chrisvaisvil.com/?s=aeolian

The recording of snow mixed with with wind is one I recommend. It mixes chimes from from the snow impacting the strings and serene wind driven drones. http://chrisvaisvil.com/snow-and-wind-electric-aeolian-harp/

Chris

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on August 15, 2016, 15:40:16
And yeah, that sample is terribly out of tune... Surprisingly it still got 4th. Many drunk people I think, but apparently not enough? :P
To be fair, it didn't sound quite as off-tune at the party (probably covered by the hall reverb or something...).
Cute and short track, but you surely could have fixed the tuning after the party. ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

I actually thought I did :)

We'll see, maybe I will fix it later, but working with these samples is very difficult.

LPChip

Quote from: Louigi Verona on August 25, 2016, 22:57:56
I actually thought I did :)

We'll see, maybe I will fix it later, but working with these samples is very difficult.

Tuning your samples never is difficult. Just make sure you have a perfect sine/triangle or square and tune all against that specific sine. Even the complex samples will resonate against a sine until you find the perfect center.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on August 25, 2016, 23:06:57Tuning your samples never is difficult.
Yes it is, when you have to deal with the MOD format where loop start and loop end have to be divisible by two, you are constrained to a middle-C frequency of ~8kHz, have to use octaves 4 though 6 and thus have to use very short loops for chip samples.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Oh, never thought about the mod limitations. Good point.