[Video Game Music] Foul Weather (XM/SPC)

Started by FreezeFlame(Alchemy), June 07, 2016, 23:29:53

Previous topic - Next topic

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Tried working with an atmosferic feel in this track, inspired by riding my bike though heavy rain.

The SPC file was generated by xm2snes (or was it xm2spc, don't remember) though the original XM file. They sound mostly the same, except for the synth bell (which sounds muddled).
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Brozilla

It reminds me of something but can't put my finger on it lol. Maybe some high-tech lab in an rpg? Needless to say the mood is great and would just as aptly describe bad weather indeed. I think we have similar interests, we should work together sometime :P

Don't know how SNES savvy you are but the SPC would naturally come out slightly muddled due to a number of compounding reasons. Samples are always stored in BRR which is a lossy compression format, Gaussian Interpolation (gaussan blur is a low pass filter so your highs come out slightly muffled), and to a lesser degree it outputs samples at 32khz, that is the playback rate.

While this isn't exactly accurate think of it like a wooden instrument. Your 48khz output with fast sinc/cubic might be as if you made your "Trackar" out of Alder/Northern Ash with Maple. Bright, clear, strong highs and rich mids but lows are tight and arguable weak/non-resonant with a somewhat grainy sound. The SNES Trackar might have Mahogany & Rosewood, real smooth tone with powerful mid/lows but lacking clarity with highs and may in fact sound muddy in comparison to the other Trackar.
44.1 vs. 48khz sampling rate