[Video Game Music] Forest Serenade .it + Youtube

Started by Brozilla, June 06, 2016, 09:18:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Brozilla

This is a mix between old and new. Technically not new material but just took forever trying to complete (avg 2 days.), technically still not finished but at the point where I'm contempt and willing to give it a nice rest. This has gone through a bit of instrument changes but it should be acceptable. YouTube is the SPC rendition/listening while the .it are for viewing/reading.

OneDrive .it: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5A3B4F072C63425D!240&authkey=!AM6ZmSQKSHcBeyE&ithint=folder%2c
["TW" is the "readable" version, slightly older. "TWF" is the SNESMOD optimized version.]

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4b4CQ7BAZw&

Did some experimenting with surround (S9A) but never tested it with a dolby receiver so have no idea how it sounds from that perspective. The YouTube is a StereoMix recording of SPC output so it's entirely possible (like I know) the surround is broken. Honestly there are a few more things I wanted to do with this (i.e percussion) but practically saturated the channels and almost out of ARAM.
44.1 vs. 48khz sampling rate

Saga Musix

Sounds like straight out of a forest scene in a classic SNES RPG, although at some points the chord progression seems a bit too random for that (e.g. halfway through pattern 2).

QuoteDid some experimenting with surround (S9A) but never tested it with a dolby receiver so have no idea how it sounds from that perspective
I guess most people (including me) just use that effect for extra stereo space on mono samples anyway. With a Pro-Logic Surround decoder (or by selectin "Quad" in the OpenMPT soundcard settings), these channels would simply be played on the rear channels of a 4-speaker setup.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Brozilla

QuoteDid some experimenting with surround (S9A) but never tested it with a dolby receiver so have no idea how it sounds from that perspective
I guess most people (including me) just use that effect for extra stereo space on mono samples anyway. With a Pro-Logic Surround decoder (or by selectin "Quad" in the OpenMPT soundcard settings), these channels would simply be played on the rear channels of a 4-speaker setup.
[/quote]

Quad unsurprisingly works but the main issue I end up with is that the stereo surround is in such that the audio appears propagate deeper into the sound space, that is it's been pushed forward instead. It does appear to skip the LFE as well often result in weaker volumes, I'll have to maybe more thoroughly test it with a DPLII receiver. Being a SNES song Dolby Surround is it's only means of surround audio, inverse echo volumes increase the sound stage but that's not MPT related xD

thanks for feedback, this song probably isn't as complete as some of my others ("dev hell") but needs a good rest.
44.1 vs. 48khz sampling rate