Strange error on Windows 98

Started by Yellowberry, April 29, 2016, 10:42:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellowberry

"The MPTRACK.EXE file expects a newer version of Windows."
"Upgrade your Windows version."

I have been experiencing this error with Windows 98SE, but the download page claims it works with Windows 98 and up. I have googled the error and it seems to be a compilation problem. I would appreciate some help with this, thank you.

manx

Running on Windows 98SE or Windows ME requires installing KernelEx extensions from https://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/ as well as using a "Win32old" version of OpenMPT (when using the installer, it will automatically take care of using the right version).

manx

If it still does not work, please report back.

Yellowberry

I am currently using the "legacy" version from the download page, because that is what said that it supported Win98. Also, I already have KernelEx installed. If I try to run it using KernelEx it gives me a different error: "The MPTRACK.EXE file is linked to missing export RPCRT4.DLL:UuidCreateSequential."

Saga Musix

I have successfully tested a recent OpenMPT version on Win98SE not too long ago, but I will check during the weekend if anything changed.
I hope it goes without saying that like any other operating system, Win98SE should be fully updated, so a missing update might also be reason for OpenMPT not to run.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Yellowberry

Thank you for that link, I will see what I can do and report back afterwards if it worked.

Saga Musix

I just tested the latest OpenMPT Win32old version on my Win98SE install (with KernelEx and all official updates) and it runs just fine. You probably don't need all the new stuff from that inofficial service pack, only all the updates that were ever released for Win98SE. Back when I put it on this machine ten years ago, it only consisted of official patches, so that should be enough to get OpenMPT to run.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.