How effective might this be? [Surround Sound]

Started by Brozilla, April 07, 2016, 04:21:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Brozilla

Basically I have a channel right and it's playing  from the left, X00. Assuming S9B, what if I had another channel playing the same note but with Surround on (S91) and similar panning, X0A just for Pete's sake. In a 7.1 surround sound system there is FL, FR, SL, SR, RL, RR, Cen/Sub. Accordingly it should simulate sound coming out of a side speaker but could allow for smoother panning between frontal and rear speaker output. The best way is to test this of course but I don't want to march into a dead pass.

In short let's say I got an 8-channel. I add 4 more channels as "surround flavor" that do as prescribed. I also remember reading that delaying audio (e.g 32ms) can help stimulate an objects spacial location..... but one step at a time (still new to this.)
44.1 vs. 48khz sampling rate

Saga Musix

Well, let's put it like this: Quad Surround is a rarely used, old and very messy feature. It comes from times when having a 5.1 or 7.1 setup was not a common thing (though I wonder how many people would have had a 4.0 setup). As you realized it's rather difficult to pan "between front and back" and requires to add duplicated channel pairs. It's currently the only way to go.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.