Bob's MPTM Tuning Collection

Started by Combinebobnt, November 19, 2015, 20:40:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Combinebobnt

Here is a MASSIVE collection of tunings for the .MPTM file format in OpenMPT. The download is a .tc file, so you can use it right away in OpenMPT without hassle (and not have to fiddle with .scl and .tun files). To use these tunings, rename the pack to 'local_tunings.tc' in your OpenMPT tuning folder. You could also do this hard way and go to the instrument tab for .MPTM format, select 'Control Tunings..." at 'Alternative Tuning', click 'import' and import this pack, and then drag and drop the tunings with 'move here'  either to 'Local Tunings' so you can use them everywhere, or to 'Tune specific tunings' for just a single module.

Tiny update on 04/02/2016, added tunings:
-Just Intonation with Meantone M2 and m7
-Some 7 limit scales

Contains

pythagorean
just intonation
JI Mean M2 & m7
harmonics
1/2 meantone
1/3 meantone
2/7 meantone
1/4 meantone
1/5 meantone
1/6 meantone
werckmeister III
young I
young II
kirnberger I
kirnberger II
kirnberger III
vallotti
grammateus
kellner
corrette
rameau
marpourg
egarr's english ord
d'alembert/rousseau
neidhardt
lambert
bach/barnes
bach/lehman
bach/o'donnell
bach/hill
bach/swich
8th comma well temperament
pinnock modern
5edo
5edo blackkeys
7edo
7edo whitekeys
8edo
9edo
10edo
11edo
13edo
14edo
15edo
16edo
17edo
18edo
19edo
20edo
21edo
22edo
23edo
24edo
26edo
26edo alphabet
29edo
31edo
bohlen-pierce
a12
tritave 11
alpha octaves
alpha
beta octaves
beta
gamma octaves
gamma
delta
magic 7
magic 7 whitekeys
magic 13
miracle
blackjack
hexany 1-3-5-7
riccardo la marca scale
Fokker 7-limit Tempered
7-limit Blues Scale
Fokker 7-limit Tempered/Modified

Information about the tunings

All tunings are based around the key of 'C'. To put a tuning in another key, its easiest to transpose the samples, or you can use the multiply feature in the tuning editor. Pitch bends are around 192/n - 1 with some rounding, where n is number of notes in the scale (example 31edo has n=31), all 12-note tunings have a value of 15 (so the same pitch bending as 12edo).

{BASIC}

Pythagorean:
-Wolf between G# and D#
Pythagorean tuning has every fifth at a 3/2 ratio, with an out of tune fifth between G# and D#

Just Intonation:
C# = 16/15 = 1.066~
Major whole step (D= 1.125 = 9/8) (D and A will produce a wolf tone)
D# =  6/5 = 1.2
F# = 7/5 = 1.4
G# = 8/5 = 1.6
A# = 16/9 = 1.77~
B = 15/8 = 1.875
Just intonation puts all notes at perfect, small whole number ratios, but this is only in tune for a single key.

JI Mean M2 & m7:
This is the same as the above just intonation, but D and A# have been made the same as in 1/4 quarter-comma meantone. D is therefore between, or the mean of, the minor 2nd and the Major 2nd, with A# being the inverse of this. This allows for better playing in the home key of C and close surrounding keys at a a sacrifice of 2 just ratios. However, piano keyboards only have 1 key for D, so this is a nice compromise.

Just intonation puts all notes at perfect, small whole number ratios, but this is only in tune for a single key.

Harmonics:
goes up to the 21st harmonic
notes not mentioned are the same as in Just Intonation.
C - 1
G - 3/2
E - 5/4
A# - 7/4
D - 9/8
F# - 11/8
G# - 13/8
B = 15/8
C# = 17/16
D# = 19/16
F - 21/16

{MEANTONES}
Wolf between G# and D#
These all reduce the perfect Pythagorean fifth by a fraction of the syntonic comma, the difference between a Pythagorean and perfect third. 1/4 comma has a perfect third, 1/3 comma has a perfect minor third, 1/6 comma has a just tritone (Mozart might have used it?)

{WELL TEMPERAMENTS}
starts at 'werckmeister III" and ends at 'pinnock modern'
These try and make all keys usable like 12edo (the default OpenMPT tuning) does, but so that not every key sounds the same. Check this website out http://www.hpschd.nu/tech/index.html (select temperament from the drop down box) for more detailed information on the well temperaments. Wolf's are usually between G# and D#, but not always.

{EDO's}
All n-edo's are n notes to the octave (n - Equal Divisions of the Octave):
Each uses whatever 'standard' I could find of notes with Western accidentals. If you are using the crazy non-traditional n-edo's, you are probably smart enough to figure out what the notes are.
Accidentals (values are not always accurate):
b - flat
d - 1/2 flat (half flat)
\ - 1/2 sharp (half sharp)
# - sharp
X - 3/2 sharp (sharp and a half)

5-edo blackkeys:
Can play the 5-edo scales with only the black keys.

7-edo whitekeys:
Can play the 7-edo scales with only the white keys.

24-edo:
If you don't know much about edo's, this is probably one of the easiest to use; there is now a note in between every note of the normal 12-edo scale, with 1/2 sharps and 3/2 sharps.

26-edo alphabet:
Names all the notes according to each letter of the alphabet.

I stop at 31-edo, as the ones beyond are difficult to name notes for and give you 4 octaves or less of work room.

{OTHER}
Notes are named by approximations or whatever standard I could come up with. If you are using these scales, you are probably smart enough to figure out what notes are what (or rename them in the tuning!).

Bohlen-Pierce:
An equal division of the tritave, which is a fifth and an octave, or 3 instead of 2. Has 13 equal steps, so it is 13-edt.

A12:
12-edt, 12 equal divisions of the tritave.

Tritave 11:
11-edt, 11 equal divisions of the tritave.

Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta:
Wendy Carlos's scales that are not based around the octave with different step sizes for each scale. The notes are named by the first letter of the scale and the note number from -64 to 64, with 0 being middle 'C'.

Alpha, Beta, Gamma - Octave:
Same as above, but attempts to names the notes by whatever interval is closest to the octave. There are still no octaves, however.

Magic 7:
The 7 note version of the magic scale (7-limit version)

Magic 7 whitekeys:
Same as above that can be played with the white keys of the keyboard.

Magic 13:
The 13 note version of the magic scale (7-limit version)

Miracle:
11-limit compatible step size

Blackjack:
21 note scale related to miracle, 11-limit compatible step size

Hexany 1-3-5-7:
6 notes to the octave, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexany

Ricardo la Marca Scale:
Some random scale I found, similar to just intonation.

Fokker 7-limit Tempered:
A 12-note scale with 7-limit intervals. To be honest I don't remember much about this scale other than that. Play with it and find out I guess (or look it up).

7-limit Blues Scale:
I know even less about this one. It's definitely 7-limit and playable for blues though. Experiment with it.

Fokker 7-limit Tempered/Modified:
Modified to make some compromises and more usable harmonic 7th chords; really only good for the keys of 'F' and 'C' now. Has some different melodic intervals for the black keys, experiment to find out. This tuning only exists because I used it in a song I made, "Snowy Stuff", but it is definitely reusable for 12-note, 7-limit songs that only stay in those two keys.

Saga Musix

Very nice - with a collection like this available, maybe it would finally be time to ship some default tunings with OpenMPT. Would you be okay with adding them to the OpenMPT package?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Combinebobnt

Sure, you can do that.

I'm glad I learned how to use group geometric tunings too instead of just 'general', as it makes creating new tunings much easier. In the future I'll knock out everything in the OP as well as some more xen stuff and non repeating tunings.

Saga Musix

If you have any tricks to share about the stuff you learned, feel also free to amend the wiki articles with that stuff, or write some kind of little tutorial that could go into the tutorial section. I'm afraid I don't really use the tuning system so there's not much more I can write for the manual, but I do know that it needs to be covered more thoroughly - so anyone who actually makes use of it is more than welcome to contribute to the manual.
At least I found out that importing tunings seems to be a bit broken at the moment (a new "Local Tunings" section is created and is lost when closing the dialog), so if anything, this forum post revealed a bug that will be fixed. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Combinebobnt

I filled in information on both of those wiki articles; for the most part you had everything covered, so that's good. I'll write a tutorial later and maybe submit a bug report as well (for exporting a single tuning, I've never gotten that to work).

EDIT: If you are to add the tunings into OpenMPT itself, you should probably only bother with 1/4 and 1/3 meantone, as they are the most common. All the other meantones are much more specific and rare (maybe except for Mozart's 1/6 meantone). 7TET whitekeys is mostly just for convenience.

Combinebobnt

Huge update: https://www.sendspace.com/file/wdgpbz , read OP again for information.

EDIT: typo in 8th comma WT and Pinnock Modern causing a big wolf fifth between D and A, and forgot to make some tunings groupgeometric; links updated with fix

arseniiv

Wow! :o
Thank you for some new names, will look them up on Xenharmonic wiki.
Feel free to correct my English.
Music & sounds: [Freesound] [SoundCloud] [Direct links to music]

Saga Musix

Nice. I haven't gotten around incorporating those tunings into OpenMPT or looking into that import bug, but hopefully I will be able to do so before the next release (there won't be a Christmas release this year anyway, sorry).

uncloned

I for one am really happy to see this work being done on tunings. There are two major microtonal groups on facebook. Xenharmonic Alliance II and Microtonal Music and Theory. (the one with the period)

I'm going to link to this post on those groups - is there an open mpt facebook page that I'm not familar with?

uncloned

Quote from: Combinebobnt on November 19, 2015, 22:21:26
Sure, you can do that.

I'm glad I learned how to use group geometric tunings too instead of just 'general', as it makes creating new tunings much easier. In the future I'll knock out everything in the OP as well as some more xen stuff and non repeating tunings.

It would be good to ship it as default. +1

Combinebobnt

Small update because:
- Just Intonation probably shouldn't of had a 7-limit tritone when all the other intervals were 5-limit and below. It has been changed to 45/32, which is the correct leading tone to 3/2 now anyway.
- Added Just Intonation with a meantone M2 and m7. A great compromise due to piano keyboards only having one key for 'D'. Really nice to play in, considering 'C' and its 4 surrounding keys are quite playable.
- Added some 7-limit scales that I don't remember anything about. At least they are there!

I'll make another update in the future to add some handcrafted temperaments and maybe some other easy stuff