Information on SC68 files? (Atari ST/?)

Started by Arktik, September 21, 2015, 03:15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Arktik

I found a huge database of tracker music, mostly cracktros, and there are quite a few in the format of SC68. OpenMPT supports every other format (MOD/IT/XM/MO3/S3M), but not the SC68 files. Everything you've ever wanted to know about SC68 can be found here, but I couldn't find a mention of a tracker... So I'm not even sure if these files are editable.

In my limited research, it seems the only software able to play these files (outside of maybe using an Atari ST emulator, which I'd love to actually do) are Winamp and BZR Player. Can anyone give me information on how to open/edit these songs? Are these simply just compiled songs or are they indeed tracker files?

EDIT: Upon further research, according to this forum post (external site), I'm lead to believe that these so-called SC68 files are, in fact, SNDH files (wat?.)

EDIT 2: Okay... Going further, I've found that SNDH files are Atari ST audio files. The extension "SC68" is, for whatever reason, a "wrapper" format, though I'm not entirely sure how changing the extension of a file would modify it's headers, which is what programs look for when attempting to load files, implying that you can give a file any extension you want and it would still load (correct?.) That being said, there just so happens to be a software called "Vortex Tracker II" which can deal with SNDH files (export only, though.) I'm guessing whoever created these songs using that format either used an actual Atari ST or Vortex Tracker II. So, my question now is, these "SC68" files that I have. Are they tracker files in the traditional sense? Meaning, is there a way to open these files in the tracker that created them and mess around with it? I'm getting so tired, so I apologize if I'm starting sound a bit weird.

Saga Musix

OpenMPT will never support formats that require an emulator to be played back or formats that require a certain sound chip like the YM chip, simple as that.
OpenMPT can only support formats that contain actual pattern data (not Motorola 68k bytecode) and sample data (not instructions to be sent to a sound chip).
You will find SNDH plugins for dozens of other players. They are not traditional tracker files, they are very roughly comparable to exporting a song to MP3 in OpenMPT - you cannot get the original module data out of an MP3 render just like you cannot really get any usable data for a tracker out of a SNDH file.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.