Tempo Swing in MPTM

Started by Saga Musix, June 13, 2015, 17:02:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Quote from: Diamond on June 25, 2015, 00:49:49
Although it seems that if number of consecutive rows is set to 1, even and odd rows are synchronized.  Useful, but is this intentional?
Err, yes, as said, there two groups, so if you set the edit group size to 1, every other row belongs to the same group.

And yes, fractional tempos have been added a while ago as well.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Diamond

Found another possible minor bug.  When the "Edit group" checkbox is enabled, the "Reset" button will reset the sliders, but the changes are not reflected in live preview/realtime.

Saga Musix

Not reflected in live preview? That code should actually crash when hitting the reset button! Working on it...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Diamond

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems as if swing is not being correctly applied when I have "Rows per beat" set to 8 and "Rows per measure " set to 32.  Or maybe I'm just having trouble rapping my brain around the row spacing/percentages involved.

Saga Musix

What exactly is the problem? Rows per measure are not taken into consideration at all, so at RPB=8 it should behave exactly the same as with RPB=4, except that you have twice as many rows to fill out. Note that if you increase the RPB, the swing pattern is extended with rows of normal length, i.e. the second half of the rows will play without swing until you manually adjust it.

Diamond

I see.  In that case my guess is that it is simply not being correctly applied.  When I change "Rows per beat" to 8, not only does swing disappear from the first half of the rows, but if I enable "Edit group" and set consecutive rows to 1, adjusting the sliders does not apply swing.

Saga Musix

Seems like it's indeed not updated properly right after changing the LPB. Will look into this later.

Saga Musix

Song signature is now directly updated when previewing, so if you change from e.g. 4 to 8 RPB without closing the dialog first, it should now apply the correct tempo. This might be the problem you encountered, but if you still have problems with the new version, please let me know.
http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe <-- updated build since buildbot is currently not running.

Diamond

Hmm, I can't tell if the previous issue is resolved because now I experience a different problem with this release.  Opening the swing configuration dialog causes playback speed to double.

Saga Musix

...okay, it's still too hot here (or I can't type, or both). Redownload, should work now.

Diamond

The playback doubling speed issue is gone, but it seems that swing is still not being applied when "Rows per beat" is set to 8.  Although I should clarify that this is not only an issue with switching from 4 "Rows per beat" to 8, it seems to be a problem with "Rows per beat" being set to 8 in general.  In other words, even if you start out with it set to 8, swing is still not applied when you move the sliders.

Saga Musix

There is definitely no such code that would magically disable tempo swing at RPB=8, so you will have to give me an exact step-by-step instruction how you configure tempo swing to cause this problem.

Diamond

Okay, this is probably the simplest way to demonstrate what I'm experiencing.

1. Take a module which has "Rows per beat" set to 8.

2. Open the "Tempo Swing Settings" dialog and enable "Edit group".

3. Adjust the odd numbered sliders and at least for me, swing always stays at 50%.  This behavior does not occur when "Rows per beat" is set to 4.
Note, this occurs even if "Edit group" is not enabled and you adjust the odd numbered sliders individually once you begin to adjust the second group.

Saga Musix

Uhm, just to make sure, did you check that there is actually enough relevant pattern data on the odd rows for the effect to be audible? I mean, at 8 RPB the single rows are 32ths and not 16ths as with 4 RPB, so the effect will be inaudible, unless you have a lot of 32ths action going on. Setting the edit group to two rows will probably have a more obvious effect.

Diamond

Sigh.  You're right that was the problem.  Sorry, note lengths and time signatures are not my strong suit.