Play notes in row (by spacing) with arrow keys?

Started by Kizzume, June 03, 2015, 06:24:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzume

I'm very new to this program.  I was wondering if there was a way to hear the notes in the current row (by spacing) by scrolling up and down with the arrow/cursor keys.  This would be extremely beneficial in making songs by ear.

I've found that it doesn't let me have more than one function set for a single keypress--I wanted to set it so the down arrow key does both play row *and* navigate down by spacing, but it won't let me do that.  If I was to modify the keyboard shortcuts file by hand to force the issue, would that work?

Thanks.

Saga Musix

You can assign the same key to two functionalities by assigning the first command to "on key down" and the other to "on key up". Assinging two commands to exactly the same combination of key and key up / down is not possibly due to how OpenMPT works internally.
You may find the "play whole row while recording" feature in the general settings useful for what you want to do, though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

I fiddled around a bit with the key handling code and it seems easy enough to add proper support for multiple commands per key without the hack described above. I'll look into it for the next version. I don't think it would help in your case though, since the "Play Row" shortcut already advanced by row, so Down + Play Row is not necessary, and Up + Play Row will just stay on the current row.

Edit: The latest test versions available at http://buildbot.openmpt.org/builds/ do now allow to bind several keys in the same context to the same shortcut (it will still emit a warning, just answer with No to keep all shortcuts).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

The new behaviour proved problematic for existing key bindings where e.g. the "Play Row" shortcut was bound to the 8-key (like in Impulse Tracker), so it entered the number 8 in the pattern and also played a row. For this reason, the new behaviour is now disabled by default and can be activated again through the hidden setting Misc.AllowMultipleCommandsPerKey.