OpenMPT keeps crashing and losing all of my data!

Started by PutTheHurttOn, April 12, 2015, 20:10:47

Previous topic - Next topic

PutTheHurttOn

I just redownloaded OpenMPT, because it when I installed the update, it wouldn't work with my plugin bridge. I'm still not sure what that means.

Each time it opens (and I open a song) it tells me it can't find any of my instruments. I have to rescan the folder each time. On top of that, it resets all my settings.

This might not be so bad, but it keeps crashing every 5-10 minutes. What's happening?!

Saga Musix

Not so fast, you seem to describe three different things in one post (which is a bad practice). So one after another...

Quote from: PutTheHurttOn on April 12, 2015, 20:10:47
I just redownloaded OpenMPT, because it when I installed the update, it wouldn't work with my plugin bridge. I'm still not sure what that means.
Where did you download OpenMPT from? If you download the complete installation package, the correct version of the plugin bridge should always be installed alongside the main executable. If you downloaded the zip package, do not only unpack mptrack.exe but both PluginBridge*.exe files as well. They need to be the same version as mptrack.exe itself.

Quote from: PutTheHurttOn on April 12, 2015, 20:10:47Each time it opens (and I open a song) it tells me it can't find any of my instruments. I have to rescan the folder each time. On top of that, it resets all my settings.
OpenMPT stores its settings in the Application Data folder by default, so they will survive OpenMPT being upgraded or moved to a different folder.
Do you use OpenMPT in portable mode maybe, or did you previously uninstall OpenMPT and choose to delete all settings as well? I suppose by "it can't find any of my instruments" you mean VST instruments?

Quote from: PutTheHurttOn on April 12, 2015, 20:10:47This might not be so bad, but it keeps crashing every 5-10 minutes. What's happening?!
I'd be interested to know as well, so please provide the crash dump it generated. When it crashes, it will tell you where to find the dump file.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Also, do you have administrative privileges on your pc and to what path have you installed OpenMPT?

I know from experience that a standard user may experience problems when programs are installed to the Program Files folder.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on April 13, 2015, 09:00:57
I know from experience that a standard user may experience problems when programs are installed to the Program Files folder.
Since OpenMPT uses the Application Data folder for writing its settings, this is not a problem.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Not even if someone set it to portable installation and installs to the program files folder?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I seriously hope noone would come up with a stupid idea like that. But despite everything it might actually work if the compatibility shim redirects the config file writing to the VirtualStore folder. Either way, the scenario you describe is a subset of the scenario I already explained in my first post, so it's not necessary to check both.