Two "Zxy" suggestions

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), March 29, 2015, 00:02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi,

I think it would be very useful to have the possibility of applying the "Amplify" function to "Zxy" values, as they are for VSTi general volume, modulation wheel, expression etc, and it would be very handful being able to amplify those values, same way as we do with non-midi volumes...

Also, wouldn't it be nice to have the possibility of adding several effects columns in a same channel, instead of creating, for instance, new channels for each Zxy effects we want to use simultaneously (like "general volmum" + "Expression" + "Modulation Wheel" etc) ?

Saga Musix

Quote from: RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER) on March 29, 2015, 00:02:55
I think it would be very useful to have the possibility of applying the "Amplify" function to "Zxy" values, as they are for VSTi general volume, modulation wheel, expression etc, and it would be very handful being able to amplify those values, same way as we do with non-midi volumes...
There are shortcuts for adding values to effect parameters, maybe there should be some for multiplying as well. MIDI Macros are universal and not necessarily volume-related, so it would be very counter-intuitive and confusing (and often even unwanted) to let the Amplify function modify them too.

Quote from: RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER) on March 29, 2015, 00:02:55Also, wouldn't it be nice to have the possibility of adding several effects columns in a same channel, instead of creating, for instance, new channels for each Zxy effects we want to use simultaneously (like "general volmum" + "Expression" + "Modulation Wheel" etc) ?
Yes it would, but it would also be an insane amount of work and would require a lot of thought to be put into pattern commands that was so far not necessary. For example, what happens if two contradictory commands appear in the same pattern cell?
A better and easier to implement idea are plugin channels which could be configured to belong to a specific plugin and then you could for example put any kind of MIDI CC into them. It has been considered before but is also quite a lot of work, especially in the pattern drawing code.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

When I say "modifying the MIDI macros too", I mean only if they are selected, of course...Not in all the channel. If they have been selected by the composer to be "amplified", then there can not have any confusion.

However, I understand your points...

Saga Musix

What would happen in this case, though?
|C-504v10Z7F|D#504v10Z7F
|.....v20Z5A|.....v20Z5A
|.....v30Z35|.....v30Z35
|.....v40Z10|.....v40Z10

What if I want to amplify both channels at the same time? I will have to select at least one column full of Zxx effects. And it's not possible to statically detect the meaning of these Zxx effects since the same pattern could be used in several scenarios with a different active macro. I know that's unlikely, but it should show why this new behaviour would be very esoteric and counter-intuitive to the user. A command shouldn't do something different based on a little context change like this one.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Do it the way I do, enter the start and end values, make a selection between the two, and interpolate the values so it fills out the rest, then delete values in between you don't want (if any).

Because, as you know, there's an interpolate volume, but also interpolate effect. Works with PC's too, which makes it really easy to create smooth parameter changes.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

You missed the point. The Interpolation command does something completely different than the Amplify command.

LPChip

Right. It would only work if the beginning scenario already are values that go from one number interpolated to the other. My bad...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs