Does anybody have some Quad samples?

Started by Kitsune_Phoenix, March 25, 2015, 17:21:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune_Phoenix

I wanted to experiment with the quadraphonic capabilities of OpenMPT, but as it does not have any panning settings for Front/Back (be it per-channel, per-sample, envelopes or whatever), that means I need a quadraphonic sample.

Does anybody have any samples I can use that fit these requirements, or better yet a module that demonstrates their use?

Saga Musix

OpenMPT will only load the first two channels, so even if you had a quad surround sample (drmapan.wav, can be loaded as a module to split up the channels into individual samples, but not as a sample) it wouldn't be of much use.
What you need is to enable quad surround mode using S9D, then you can also freely pan in the rear channels. If you want to pan between front and back, you basically need to do the same thing as if you had no panning command and wanted stereo panning: Instead of having one channel hard left and one hard right, you need one front channel and one back channel and then fade between the two channels using normal volume commands.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Kitsune_Phoenix

Why is quad surround mode not enabled by default on MPTMs?

Thanks for the samples, by the way.

Question: Weren't earlier versions of OpenMPT able to import quad samples just fine (through sample import)? When I try to import them now, I just get the unrecognized format box, where I have to choose between 8/16-bit, Signed/Unsigned and Mono/Stereo.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Kitsune_Phoenix on March 25, 2015, 18:13:06
Why is quad surround mode not enabled by default on MPTMs?
For one reason, because MPTM is essentially IT on steroids, and thus the same defaults apply.
For another reason, because it's a half-baked feature (again, you cannot pan between front and rear).
For yet another reason, because it's a rarely used feature anyway. The number of people having a properly set up system to listen to this kind of music is low, and the number of people actually able to write a good surround soundtrack is even way lower.

Quote from: Kitsune_Phoenix on March 25, 2015, 18:13:06Question: Weren't earlier versions of OpenMPT able to import quad samples just fine (through sample import)? When I try to import them now, I just get the unrecognized format box, where I have to choose between 8/16-bit, Signed/Unsigned and Mono/Stereo.
OpenMPT never had code to deal with samples with more than two channels except for the mentioned "load WAV as module" workaround.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.