Curiosity: Is Pattern Data compressed?

Started by Kitsune_Phoenix, March 12, 2015, 09:24:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

That's probably going to be the least important thing at all, but I have no intention to change it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Kitsune_Phoenix

That could be a little confusing. Granted, file extensions don't actually matter with OpenMPT, but older versions would only recognize the older format (MPTM), so if they tried to open an MPTM that was actually in the newer format, it could cause problems. You could show an error message, like "This MPTM was written using a newer version of OpenMPT and cannot be opened."

But if you are like me and play a lot of Metroid, you could be a bit more creative and say something like "Analysis inconclusive. Module incompatible with current tracker."

Back on topic, I think MPX would or MPTX would be enough of a distinction so that people don't accidentally try to open them in older versions of OpenMPT.

Saga Musix

If people really open it with an older version, they will notice that they cannot open it. Just as if they saw a different extension. Actually, using the same extension would have the benefit of them seeing that the file might indeed be open-able by OpenMPT, but their version is too old.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

arseniiv

Quote from: Kitsune_Phoenix on March 18, 2015, 20:04:53
You could show an error message, like "This MPTM was written using a newer version of OpenMPT and cannot be opened."
But, erm, such a change in some version still wouldn't change all the previous ones—and there's no guarantee the older aren't in use at any future date. They would still behave old way, so what's the point? ;D
Feel free to correct my English.
Music & sounds: [Freesound] [SoundCloud] [Direct links to music]

Saga Musix

Exactly, OpenMPT cannot predict the future's new magical file format. In fact, it actually shows this exact warning already if an MPTM following the current specifications has a higher internal version number than the current one, but obviously this is not going to work for a completely new, unknown format. Hence, the effect is the same, no matter if you change the extension or not. File extensions are overrated anyway. OpenMPT doesn't need them.