what pattern length do you use?

Started by inemuri1985, January 14, 2015, 17:44:26

Previous topic - Next topic

inemuri1985

hi folks, what pattern lenght do you most often use? i guess it is depending on genre or so.

do you work on a loop for a long time or do you set up song structure asap?

any tips on cool things that can be done with override song signature?

peace

LPChip

Mostly 64 rows per pattern unless the song has something that I don't standard use and have to revert to different lenghts. I usually want to have all 64 rows visible at the same time. (yes, 2560x1440 resolution is awesome)

I always set this up at the start of the song. So if I start tracking in a weird signature and notice I need a different row count, say 45 or 90 or perhaps 128 because that makes tracking easier for this song, I know that in the very beginning. I don't work on a loop for a long time, so I know it instant.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Like LPChip, I usually stick with 64 rows (or 48 / 96 when doing a 3/4 piece, which is rare), or 128 when working at 8 rows per beat (although this somehow doesn't happen when I work with bacter, although almost all our coops are at 8 rows per beat). Often (but not always) I get started by working on a single pattern, or let's say up to four patterns, and I start duplicating stuff from there for the structure when I'm done with the first pattern(s).

Quoteany tips on cool things that can be done with override song signature?
Well, it's meant to be used for songs with multiple time signatures, so most of the time that's the only usage case that makes sense.
I sometimes use it when I track at 4 rows per beat but require double precision for a pattern or two. Then I can simply double the rows per beat for that pattern and fill in the details.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

inemuri1985

cool ! open mpt is awesome.

thanks

rncekel

It depends mostly of the rhythm of your song. Usually is fine to have 4 row per black note, and to have 4 bars in a pattern; that makes 64 rows for a typical 4/4, and 48 for a 3/4 or a 6/8 (very used in celtic music). With different rhythms you get other numbers; for a 7/8 (quite used in jazz) 56, for a 5/8 (like a spanish zortziko) 40...

inemuri1985

i listened to your sinfonia 1. its very beautiful.

just wondering

did you do any slight alteration of bpm during sequences?

what is any tricks for doing realistic classical music on a tracker?

rncekel

Changing tempo is very useful to get a realistic impression; an exact and continuous tempo gives a machin-like feeling almost for sure. I use to devote a column to change continuous and semi-randomly the tempo. Also, it is a good idea to put in every instrument some random volume and pan variation (a very nice feature of modplug) to resemble human playing. There are a lot of vst that help a lot if you wish to sound as close as possible to human playing, because, for example, parameters like volume can be varied more finely with a vst like GGain than with the volume column.

inemuri1985

yes, the random pan and volume are great for drums !

another great feature is the fast sample editing (fades , reverse etc)