mouse scroll for volume changes?

Started by inemuri1985, December 28, 2014, 11:49:58

Previous topic - Next topic

inemuri1985

hi there. why is it that in some instances i can change volume of notes by clicking the v , holding ctrl and scrolling. and in some instances i can not do this ?

Saga Musix

If the volume is shown with a semi-transparent color, it means that it's the default volume of the instrument and is just displayed for your convenience to know at which volume the note will be playing. There is, however, no actual volume command in the pattern data and thus it cannot be modified using data entry shortcuts. Might be possible to implement, though..
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

inemuri1985

ok, i was able to do this with some of the sounds. adjusting volume on some but not all of the samples or instruments. is there a distinction between samples and instruments? when this works it is really convenient for "messing up" sequences

so i guess im wondering why some samples volume are not semi transparent and can be changed?  :)

Saga Musix

The differnce between semi-transparent volume commands and completely visible commands is, as said, that the semi-transparent ones are default sample volumes. You have to consider them to not actually exist in the pattern data (and in case it's confusing, they can be turned off in the settings). The ones that are not transparent are actual volume commands that override the default volume and which you have entered / recorded in the pattern.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

inemuri1985

ok i got it. but i also found out that once i had edited a volume parameter (by typing in values) in the pattern editor, i could afterwards edit the volume with ctrl and the mouse scroll. so it seems it was activated once i have edited it once.

if i turn off the semi transparent volume commands, will i be able to directly use the scroll function before manually typing values?

thanks for all the tips.

Saga Musix

Okay, you basically just asked the same question again, so let me try to rephrase the answer one more time:
Using the scroll wheel modifies the pattern data as-is. If there is a "1" in the pattern and you scroll up, it becomes a "2". If there is no command in the actual pattern data, nothing happens.
The semi-transparent volume commands are not actually there in the pattern, they just visualize the default volume of a sample to remember you of it. As such, they are not affected by the scroll wheel data entry. Whether that's logical or not, I'm not sure, but I will think about taking default volumes also into account when doing data entry that way.

inemuri1985

lol. sorry about that. thanks for the help.

i dont know what is the most common thing for people to use in this column, but being able to use the scroll wheel to select either volume or effects in a highlighted area would be cool.

Saga Musix

Well, as said, that works without problems if there actually is a volume command - however, I have now changed the code so that it automatically inserts a volume command next to a note if there isn't one already. You may grab an updated build and see how it works for you.

inemuri1985